What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heliamphora heterodoxa

:poke:I just got 2 heterodoxas , i was wondering do i only need sphagnum ? Also how fast does it grow ? finaily how big will it get and when will i need to give it a bigger pot .[now it is in a 3 inch pot] :poke::banana2::boogie:

I've never grown heterodoxa, but ive grown minor, and i currently grow 'Tequila'... i would honestly say that pure live sphagnum would be fine, but would probably like a more airy mix, B. Tincher (Av8tor) or David (BigBella) could give you a lot more info than i can offer up, but MOST Heliamphora are relatively slow growers, this does not apply to all but it does apply to many (H. heterodoxa is known for being rather vigorous). The largest heterodoxa traps ive seen were about 8" tall or so. but im not sure of their max size.

Last edited:
I believe that there's a big advantage to live Sphagnum in this application. I'll let the experts chime in with a definitive answer though.
~Joe

Mine grows slow... it's in a 4" pot, but they do grow pretty long roots like 5-6" pot size. I pot in hmm... after looking at it closer, more like 1.5 perlite : 1 lfs. And I let my helis sit in standing water like a Drosera.

Long fiber sphagnum and chunky perlite works good.
I also have plants that are growing in about 90% cyprus bark mulch just top dressed with live sphagnum. Works great, just don't let the mulch get too dry.
JMatt

i tried that mix i hope it works for me !!!!!!!!!

Back