What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeremiah's New Heli Grow Chamber

Here is a quick video...

[youtube]NMPqvzeh3B8[/youtube]

If someone knows how to embed a youtube video let me know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMPqvzeh3B8

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NMPqvzeh3B8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
They have a thing for embed... you just have to click around a little harder in the links section for something like 'show more' and then there should be a button for embed. (I say 'should' cuz sometimes things show up different on my mac than most people's windows machines)

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NMPqvzeh3B8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

..edit:

Wow, nice misty grow chamber!! :drool:

oops nevermind Zu beat me to it... :)

windows 7 based steps:
Click on "share"
Click on "embed"
copy code and paste into thread post

you might be able to find a giant plastic container at the container store? they say they have everything lol

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

when i do this if i decide to go this rout im gonna be lazy and make the bf set it up haha let him have the fun instead of me lol, as long as i get to do the lighting everything will be fine oh and setting up the racks

Very nice Jeremiah!

Wow! That's a helluva lot of Helis!

I have always been curious how much air flow is needed. I currently use a variable rate CPU fan which is actually on its lowest setting. i can feel the faintest breeze from it at the other end of the grow space. Given that JH and Butch are using twice the number of fans that are blowing at fairly high rates, wondering if I should up the fan speed.

Z,

While 33cfm may be high compared to what you currently have, the 120mm 800RPM S-Flex fan is about the lowest CFM in it's class. The purpose of two of them is really for redundancy sake. If only one fan and power supply were used and either unit failed, you would have an oven in less then a hour. With two lower CFM fans on two seperate power supplies, if either one unit fails then the temps may rise somewhat but a total loss is prevented.

My plants have already been saved from such a disaster using this design philosophy. I had one power supply fail while out of town for the weekend. Had I depended on just one unit..... I would have had a total loss of all my helis.

Low RPM, large diameter fans with low CFM provides a nice gentle breeze throughout the rack. Much more favorable growing conditions IMHO

FWIW, that S-flex fan model uses the Sony high performance bearings and is rated as one of the most reliable PC fans made (going by newegg customer feedback) I selected it after careful consideration of performance/value/reliabliity

:)

Last edited:
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

After only a little over two weeks in the chamber they have already stared to color up.

H. pulchella on May 3rd grown in the greenhouse
photo-10.JPG

Now on May 20th.
DSC_9812.JPG

-Jeremiah-

Oooh, wow, gorgeous! :D

bet youre happy seeing that :)

very nice!

wow!! Fantastic grow chamber Jeremiah and lol... Looks like B has to buy more helis now to match up...eh B? :p You still ought to teach me about fixing my nepenthes tank mate. :p

Jeremiah,

The Heliamphora are looking very nice. Color and form are both excellent; it seems as though you have mastered the genus quite well mate.
Any thoughts after running the new setup for a while now?

Butch

(oh Btw, I got your email.... my apologies for not replying yet, been out of town... Ill put something together over the next day or two for ya)

Last edited:
Hi Butch, thanks for the major help!

I have actually changed quite a few things with the grow chamber. I'll write an update in the next few days but those plants have only been back in the chamber about a week. They had spent the whole winter in the Highland Greenhouse.

-Jeremiah-

Back