What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everyone post pic of your helis

How much light are you giving this? The adult pitcher is very flared, which is a sign of insufficient light. Maybe that's why it has reverted?

That is the pitcher that was there when it was almost dead. :p This was the pitcher it made after repotting:

032.JPG

The immature pitchers are getting larger though, so I think it will start on the mature pitchers soon.

But anyway, it's growing under two t8 tubes, 32 watts I think.

@mobile: i've had plants transition on and off from the juvenile to adult staged leaves during a growing season---it just indicates that the plant isnt actually mature yet. a truly mature specimen could be considered as one that flowers...

but yes, i agree that the plant is receiving insufficient light when it develops like that.

vraev: those are grown to perfection!

Thanks Thez. I need more light though. Still need to reach master Butch's level. :p

n_bicalcarata: get a plug of live stuff and grow it into a big pile of live stuff :p

Some serious Sphagnum moss growth there :0o:

Thanks man. I encourage this species...it started from dry chilean moss over 2y ago.

nice helis

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

dashman nice heterodoxa i have one thats smaller than yours when do you think it will be having adult pichers

Hey rl your pulchella looks fantastic. What lighting do you give it?

I grow all my helis about 4 inches below 4 32 watt t8 bulbs and only manage a slight red blush. Plus, my helis keep putting out mature pitchers that don't increase in size. Ie, they consistently put out mature pitchers only about 3 " high and never larger. This is for minor x heterdoxa, chamntensis, and heterodoxa (and of course the minor and pulchella stay small as expected). They are all healthy and produce pitchers readily and have been making mature pitchers for several years. Yet none get more than a few inches high..so what's the secret? Does it just take many years to get them that large?

Hey rl your pulchella looks fantastic. What lighting do you give it?
That plant was 3-4" below power compact fluorescent bulbs (basically T-5's bent in a U shape) w/ mirror reflectors - from AH Supply. These lights were recommended by many aquatic gardeners a few years ago. I'm slowly switching over to straight T-5's w/ mirror reflectors. The distance from the lights is critical since intensity drops with an inverse-square relationship.

They are all healthy and produce pitchers readily and have been making mature pitchers for several years. Yet none get more than a few inches high..so what's the secret? Does it just take many years to get them that large?
I don't know the answer to your question but when I repotted several H. minor & pulchella plants this winter, I found that the root systems were immense. Maybe your plants are pot-bound?

i wonder when shall my heterodoxa get adult pitchers ? ? ? ?

nice helis

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

dashman nice heterodoxa i have one thats smaller than yours when do you think it will be having adult pichers

I had a H. Tequila go from a small division producing juveniles to producing adult like pitchers in about a 6 month span. My H. heterodoxa took about 8-12 IIR and it was a larger divsion even. (Massive clump of juvie pitchers) Probably has something to do with hybrid vs species and general growth traits of each.

But to answer your question, I am not really sure. They do seem to be good growers though in the right conditions. As long as you are doing everything right I wouldn't think too terribly long. Long being a relative term. I haven't been growing near long enough to be offering much advice though.

What's it look like now?

H. pulchella - Akopan Tepui
Hpulchella1091610RS2F.jpg

Look at those nectar spoons! No seriously, look at them! They are much larger than the ones on my H. pulchella. But mine is from the chimanta tepui, (see below, the closest and brightest bulb is a T5HO)

P5190988.jpg

Do you think the nectar spoon size could be a result of the source of the plants?

Heliamphora pulchella (seed-grown)
HPULCHELLA-2.jpg

:drool:

How old is that H. pulchella, David?

Heliamphora neblinae var. parva

heliamphoraneblinaevarp.jpg

suite

my terra( 150x60x60 cm) in 2010 but not in the good period , here they are too green , the good period in my home is in november-december to have red colour.

I use just the naturel light ( no neon , etc)

heli2010.JPG

jeff

my grow list

Natural light--hooray! Very nice Jeff.

I don't have any helis to my name.

suite

Since last year others heliam have enriched my collection

jeff

Last edited:
Back