What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of shots of my baby Ceph tank

I've recently tidied up my baby ceph tank, so took a few pics.

The plants on the left are "Big Boy", centre are typicals and right are 'Hummer's Giants'. I've decided to dedicate this tank as a ceph display tank, so not worried about segregation of named/cultivar plants:
SS852833.JPG

These are the typicals and 'Hummer's Giants"
SS852828.JPG

I don't know if it's just my computer, but I can't see the pics.

I don't know if it's just my computer, but I can't see the pics.
Is anyone else having this problem? I can see them on my computer and they are hosted on my own webspace, so shouldn't be an issue with bandwidth.

I can see them. Looks nice. Will be nice to see how it becomes one year later.

Wow, can't wait til they grow up! Are those little dews I see for a little more dimension too?

Wow, can't wait til they grow up! Are those little dews I see for a little more dimension too?
The Drosera that you see is Drosera auriculata red form. There is also some Drosera pulchella, though are so tiny that you'd need a magnifying glass to see them :-))and there's some Utricularia monanthos in there, so it's truly and Australian tank.

How many gallons is this? I see you employed the used of drainage balls.

How many gallons is this? I see you employed the used of drainage balls.
I'm not sure of the volume, it's 18"W x 12"H. I have a layer of LECA in the base, then a layer of semi-permeable membrane (weed membrane) then Moorland Gold as the growing medium.

Pure Moorland Gold? I would have thought that would have been too wet? There isn't any sand mixed in there? I'm guessing you can do that because of the semi-permeable membrane? ???

Pure Moorland Gold? I would have thought that would have been too wet? There isn't any sand mixed in there? I'm guessing you can do that because of the semi-permeable membrane? ???
Moorland Gold has a certain amount of sand in it naturally, though due to the nature of the product this is a variable. I could certainly see the sand in the bag I used. In addition, I struggle to get consistently good quality sand that I can trust. As you rightly said, the permeable membrane allows for drainage of excess water and now that there is water in the base the LECA will slowly transport the water back to the membrane, which should keep the Moorland Gold moist, rather than wet. Time will tell though.

Yes, I use Moorland gold too, but I always mix it with sand/perlite. I noticed it was drying up a bit quickly... now I know why, lol. The membrane is very good idea! It will be nice to see this in a year or so, after everything has settled in. :)

Back