What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus follicularis..with a bunch of buddies

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hey guys,

Here are some pics of my cephaloti :p ??

5770280977_1936e74e0d.jpg

5770281807_b278063419.jpg

Once again thanks to my great friend Av8tor for helping me grow these. His years of experience was definitely helpful and now these are among the easiest plants I grow.

A bystander. ;)

5770819006_df5ca241ff.jpg

cheers,

Varun

lepanthes calodictyon? i love that plant! unfortunately, i lost mine...i've been trying to find another one but they are so hard to come by... :p

oh and yeah, great growing a ceph...in sphag? that's a first for me...but i guess the net pot allows you to get away with that? very cool.

Nice plants - both the Ceph and Orchid.

What is your Ceph potted in? I got some 1/2" seedlings that were sent in a peat & sand based mix but that kills most all plants in my conditions so I'm interested to hear some alternative mixes.

Thanks guys. Actually the cephs are planted in a standard mix I learnt from Av. Its roghly 50% peat, 40% bark and 10% perlite. Basically any mix with less peat is better IMO as it keeps it open. I have even added charcoal and the cephs don't care. Just remember...the more open the better. Balance is important...it still needs a bit of humidity. The moss is a top dressing as I have gotten some algae problems due to tank growing. The moss is thankfully retarding algal growth.

Sorry to hear that you lost your lepanthes Jonathan. I know its a beautiful species. I wanted it for long and earlier this year there was an orchid show in Alberta and I got it through there. Ecuagenera regularly visit and I ordered the plants and got them. :) I got a couple more lepanthes, but am waititng for them to flower. Go to ecuagenera websites and look for show dates. Then you can order your plants and request them to be brought in during one of the shows. Watch for the deadlines for ordering as the shows occur once every few months and probably only twice an year in canada.

This is perhaps my most favourite orchid of all time. For me, its the one orchid to rule the genus. :) My love at first sight. lol

5773748909_622c0f8db4.jpg

yes. telipogoniflora is amazing...mine has yet to fill out like yours but it is blooming. those flowers are a pleasant treat!

stunning plants and pix mate...

very nice indeed!

I need more Lepanthes LOL

So much cute and win <3 Thanks for sharing!

I really love your cephs, Varun. Keep up the good work on it.

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks for all the comments and love guys. :) I must thank my good buddy AV here for teaching me about the cephs. :) ;) The lepanthes, it was mostly thanks to the many people who share their pictures. Its hard to find a lot of info about growing lepanthes, so you just gotta take a plunge and see what works. Thankfully, so far its going fine. :)

oooooo nice telipogoniflora... one of the best. I had one years ago, but never grew and flowered like yours. Have you ever tried Telipogons?

One of the nicest Cephalotus i have ever seen congrats.

Very nice ceph, it looks really nice. My ceph is in a hill in a mixture of silica sand and peat, and a thin layer of silica sand in the outer layer, here's a pic, the ceph doesn't look like this now, it is recovering from transplant shock, so all the beauty is gone,but is been replace with new small pitchers on the way, but it is growing, that means the more airy the soil, the better. Althought, i think humidity inside the greenhouse is somewhere near 70% or above because i have my utric bucket which raises the humidity and a pan full of LM with water, also my neps are in LFSM and are next to my ceph, so i sprinkle water every day to it, i think humidity needs to be higher(or the ceph needs it more), i might add LV on top of the thin layer so that it provides more humidity. Anyway, here's the pic:

MLxWq.jpg

oooooo nice telipogoniflora... one of the best. I had one years ago, but never grew and flowered like yours. Have you ever tried Telipogons?

thanks! Sorry to hear about ur loss. As I said, its sadly hard to find much info about these orchids. Sometimes u just need to jump in and try. I guess you atleast know what not to do next time.

Nope...haven't tried any telipogons yet. I think I am infatuated with the lepanthes genus for now. :p

One of the nicest Cephalotus i have ever seen congrats.

thanks man. :-D There's a lot of other nice ones out here on TF. :)

Very nice ceph, it looks really nice. My ceph is in a hill in a mixture of silica sand and peat, and a thin layer of silica sand in the outer layer, here's a pic, the ceph doesn't look like this now, it is recovering from transplant shock, so all the beauty is gone,but is been replace with new small pitchers on the way, but it is growing, that means the more airy the soil, the better. Althought, i think humidity inside the greenhouse is somewhere near 70% or above because i have my utric bucket which raises the humidity and a pan full of LM with water, also my neps are in LFSM and are next to my ceph, so i sprinkle water every day to it, i think humidity needs to be higher(or the ceph needs it more), i might add LV on top of the thin layer so that it provides more humidity. Anyway, here's the pic:

Cute little guy. Good job with the potting. Looks great. The extra humidity is essential while cephs are settling in. Just make sure it doesn't get too hot and ensure that there is adequate air movement.

gorgeous cephs.. you mind sharing the media secret your using?

Thanks guys. Actually the cephs are planted in a standard mix I learnt from Av. Its roghly 50% peat, 40% bark and 10% perlite. Basically any mix with less peat is better IMO as it keeps it open. I have even added charcoal and the cephs don't care. Just remember...the more open the better. Balance is important...it still needs a bit of humidity. The moss is a top dressing as I have gotten some algae problems due to tank growing. The moss is thankfully retarding algal growth.

gorgeous cephs.. you mind sharing the media secret your using?

No secret with the minerals and organic components, the mix I mentioned is exactly as above. Although...ratios may change everytime as I measure by handfuls.

huh.. bark. That's a new one. I'll have to give it a go.

thanks! Sorry to hear about ur loss. As I said, its sadly hard to find much info about these orchids. Sometimes u just need to jump in and try. I guess you atleast know what not to do next time.

Nope...haven't tried any telipogons yet. I think I am infatuated with the lepanthes genus for now. :p

thanks man. :-D There's a lot of other nice ones out here on TF. :)

Cute little guy. Good job with the potting. Looks great. The extra humidity is essential while cephs are settling in. Just make sure it doesn't get too hot and ensure that there is adequate air movement.

Hi,

It gets up to 80-100F during the day, and nights of about 65F, i am constantly misting the ceph everyday and it appears to like it(there are also ceph seeds in there i'm waiting to sprout, which are touching the peat, so i have to constantly be misting), my greenhouse is build in a deck, so there's always air coming in from below, being a really aery mix the ceph can't complain about air movement, additionaly the pot is sitting in a tray full of LFSM, and just yesterday i fillled the whole tray with water, that pot is like some 10-inch tall, the ceph gets all the sunlight from morning filter by the plastiic of the greenhouse, and the hot afternoon sun is filter by the trees and the plastic of the greenhouse, any suggestions? for the most part i think is growing excellent, but i might be wrong. Here's a pic of it, when i transplanted the ceph, i took the soil with it, once in my hands i started taking as much soil as i can, but at the same time leaving enough to prevent shock, which anyway it had shock, here it is(pic taken yesterday):
OuYVR.jpg

OuYVR.jpg

Great looking baby ceph. The leaves look healthy. I would be careful about misting though. Cephs IMO don't like misting too much unless it dries out relatively quickly. Also, I would cut away dead foliage as it tends to be where fungus grows. As the plant becomes bigger, it becomes really hard to cut away old foliage and in that case, you just let it go as long as it keeps growing well. And finally when the day comes to repot, thats when you cut off the old growth.

Nice looking Cephalotus Varun. I particularly like the first picture, as it looks very naturalistic. Out of interest, how old are these Cephalotus?

Thanks mobile. :) Hmm...lets see...I got these plants as a pitcher/root cutting around 4y ago. It was from a mature plant. Since then, I have cut off all the foliage once and let it come back from the roots.

Back