What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White and fluffy parasites, ohno!

thez_yo

instigator
:ohno: I found a mealy on one of my S.purps that luckily is faaar away from everything else but some pygmy dews. Can I use the Bayer rose pest spray stuff on Sarrs & Drosera without them melting to get rid of them? And will it harm any other kind of CP if it gets on them if it gets caught in the wind and accidentally lands on them? :spazz:

They kinda look like this :puke:
http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/lso/tn_longtail3_jpg.jpg

Bayer works fine on sarrs, however the pitchers that are developing will look sorta narly...

Ive used it on all my CP's with the exception of drosera.... dunno bout them..... works great on VFT's, helis, cephs, neps, sarrs

Since its partly systemic, maybe "water" the drosera with it if required

Nast looking parasite you got there! Theres quite a few rose products for insect control from bayer...

Not sure which product you have but I'm looking at the rose and flower insect killer by Bayer and do not recognize the active ingredients as being a SAFE/workable insecticide for CP's..... I don't know much though being lucky with experiencing pest problems, but maybe theres someone out there that has had successful experience using this product>???

I just picked up a small neem oil concentrate from amazon for pretty cheap.... got to me in under a weeks time...

*Ah AV you've answered that maybe question.....

BTW, the bayer does a number to bees.... so if the sarrs are still in flowr, pinch those

It's not unsual to see an ocassional mealy on sarras where the old leaves meet the rhizome. So long as its an isolated incident and not a n infestation, you'll be okay. This is why it's important to remove old growth every year to avoid creating pockets where mealies can breed.

Mealybugs are the scourge of my Sarracenia.

I've used the Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Insect killer on Utricularia, Drosera (include pygmy and South American), Dionaea, Cephalotus and Nepenthes. The only ill effects I've ever seen once were red blotches on developing pitchers, most likely a reaction to sunlight.

Spray in the evening to avoid photo-reactivity and minimize collateral damage to bees.

If the mealybugs get in the roots you'll have to drench the soil at 6x (as per directions) the concentration of the spray. The same stuff is sold as Complete Insect Killer for Soil and Turf. Check the labels as there maybe two formulations - you want the one with same active ingredients (Imidacloprid and a pyrethroid) as the Rose and Flower stuff. I've used this concentration on Sarracenia, Drosera and Dionaea with not ill effects.

Hey not a number, just for possible future reference, is that 6x concentration or 1/6 normale concentration?

Spray is 1/2 tablespoon of concentrate per gallon of water. For soil pests it's 3 tablespoons of concentrate per gallon of water.

Quick question... where can you find neem online?

Google search "neem oil"

I found Neem at Lowes, and it didn't need a surfactant.

I'm sorry for you. Were it my plant I would chuck it or be sure it's far away from your other stuff while you attempt to battle them. I had my entire Stapeliad collection wiped out by mealies. Passing over other succulents to feed on the Stapelia and Ceropegias who's juicy interiors are apparently like Crack to them. I fought them for months with various things, including neem and tobacco juice sprays, etc. nothing worked permanently and eventually I & the plants lost.

I didn't know CPs could get mealies (I figured it too moist) until my Lowes Darlingtonia started to shrivel down. I unpotted it and guess who...? :(

It's not unsual to see an ocassional mealy on sarras where the old leaves meet the rhizome. So long as its an isolated incident and not a n infestation, you'll be okay.
This is the first time I've seen this advice. Most people (that I know) have had experiences similar to Swords and react like they found an early harbinger for ebola or black plague. :0o: .... and those weren't infestations with Khan's pet ...:ohno:

Man that's a bit too close to the critter in the Star trek movie (the one w/ Khan) - yikes. :0o:
I remember a scene where the Starfleet head honch was eating a bowlful of mealworms and Riker had to feign eating them as well.

I've been having the most severe mealy problem this year. Several trays of byblis liniflora, flytraps, drosera falconeri... they're everywhere. Been bombing them with orthene and hoping for the best.

Back