What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helimaphora from seed: old school and new school . . .

suite

Bonjour

all the 3 year I repotting my plants ( the adult) to avoid this peat deterioration

for the juvenils the repotting is more frequent .

no fertilizer for my heliamphora just in the good period ( actually here) alive insect ( forficula auricularia and eurydema ornatum principally) for the adult .

I would always to stay close enough a 'in situ' substrate

to boost the growing and to move from juvenile to adult may be I could use trichoderma , what do you think of this solution ?

interressant this infos on your liquid culture , what it is ? tell us about the following

jeff

to boost the growing and to move from juvenile to adult may be I could use trichoderma , what do you think of this solution ?

jeff

Trichoderma is primarily used as a preventative measure -- a plant symbiont -- against harmful fungi present in the growing media (and a possible source of "Heliamphora Sudden Death" see: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126426). It is not intended as a fertilizer.

The liquid media you asked about is Knudsen C -- an orchid Tissue Culture formula (composed of essential salts, sugar and plant hormones); and I simply did not add the gelling agent to a few containers as an experiment.

David, why can't u TC some of your awsome Nepenthes seed that you get. Man!! That would put an end to the concerns of limited clone selection for species like hamata, macrophylla etc. Heck...u could have made a bucket load of money with the macrophylla if you had TCed some.

But I am sure u must have tried it. ;)

David, why can't u TC some of your awsome Nepenthes seed that you get. Man!! That would put an end to the concerns of limited clone selection for species like hamata, macrophylla etc. Heck...u could have made a bucket load of money with the macrophylla if you had TCed some.

But I am sure u must have tried it. ;)

I have put a few Nepenthes species into culture, though primarily as a way of aseptically germinating valuable seeds (though not for multiplication, as yet); and have sent a number of cultures overseas in recent years, since they are far simpler to transport through customs than are plants . . .

suite

I know this killer fungus, it is not new in cultivate.
It is not a trichoderma but a pythium ( phytophtora) ,an other is also dangerous the botrytis .

for me I think that the trichoderma is a good solution to boost a lot of plant , I must tried on a common heliamphora hybrid.

see this infos :trichoderma

jeff

I know this killer fungus, it is not new in cultivate.
It is not a trichoderma but a pythium ( phytophtora) ,an other is also dangerous the botrytis .

for me I think that the trichoderma is a good solution to boost a lot of plant , I must tried on a common heliamphora hybrid.

see this infos :trichoderma

jeff

You misunderstood. I never suggested that Trichoderma was the cause of the "sudden death" (that was the harmful fungi in the growing media mentioned above) but was a preventative measure against it . . .

Good evening BigBella. Would you care to discuss your sterilization process on your seeds/rhizomes? I am very interested in knowing your sterilization solution and soak time procedures.

The Heliamphora seeds are generally soaked in a 10-15% bleach solution for fifteen minutes, then rinsed in either sterile water or 2% hydrogen peroxide; or, alternatively, fifteen minutes in a 1:1 mix of PPM (Plant Preservative Mixture) to sterile, distilled water and immediately plated. A pouch constructed of filter paper keeps the seeds from either floating or sticking to the sides of the jar; and I alternate between methods.

In the past, I have used 70% isopropyl alcohol and bleach combinations but have found the above sterilization techniques sufficient -- and far less a pain in the arse . . .

Very good info. Thank you for sharing. Will have to this this subscribed for future reference.

Why thank you Sir! I will go down the PPM route when it is time to go. These seeds do have a lot of surface area so I will give them a nice long soak.

I appreciate the information! This is going to be very information worthy thread! :rookwoot:

Here are a few Heliamphora sprouts, probably only a day or two old, since they were all but unnoticeable on Wednesday. They were planted on 16 June; those in culture have yet to sprout.

Heliamphora sp. "Angasima"
HELISPROUTS.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful shots and congratulations there David. Thanks for sharing. :)

very nice sir! glad to witness the "pros" doing it!

Here's a shot of a newly-sprouted Heliamphora seed -- approximately two days old -- suspended in a wad of Knudsen-C Orchid (TC) Media. Strangely, the seed was lagging behind those which had been planted in conventional compost on 16 June; and it is usually quite the opposite.

There's always room for Jello . . .

Heliamphora sp. Angasima
-- 18 July

HELI2.jpg

Last edited:
very nice David! kinda weird that the TC'ed ones are falling behind the conventional planted ones...looking forward to seeing more progress. :)

very nice David! kinda weird that the TC'ed ones are falling behind the conventional planted ones...looking forward to seeing more progress. :)

It may also have been my keeping the cultures in lower light conditions for a week or more; that serves to give the seed a "head start" against any remaining contaminants that may still be present -- and to slow that potential growth . . .

suite

great success, but in fact on fresh seed , germination is not difficult even on peat alone or in sphagnum moss.

have you had difficulties to move from juvenile to adult?

I return to my problem of juvenile plants from seeds and remaining juvenil, I would love to solve :blush:

jeff

great success, but in fact on fresh seed , germination is not difficult even on peat alone or in sphagnum moss.

have you had difficulties to move from juvenile to adult?

I return to my problem of juvenile plants from seeds and remaining juvenil, I would love to solve :blush:

jeff

I have grown Heliamphora from seed on several occasions over the years and have found that the germination rate -- even among the freshest of sources (harvested a day before sowing) -- may be often species-specific. Of the three species planted or introduced into culture within the last month, there are a couple that still remain "inactive," even though they are of seemingly the same freshness and age.

I have yet to experience the issue that you had mentioned -- that permanent state of juvenile leaves (at least with seed-grown plants); but some species are far quicker to mature than others. I have several plants which have reached flowering maturity; while there are those which remain far slower to mature -- Heliamphora elongata among them . . .

Back