What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H. undecidedness

JB in Utah

Come To The Light. . .
If you're wondering why I picked this title, I don't know, it seemed fitting. So I decided that this year I am going to get either my first Ceph or first Heli, maybe both. I've read almost everything about the cultivation of these and I'm ready. My problem is that I can't decide what to get. I may order from a certain retailer based in Germany for the heli, plus I've found several reliable sources that I'm keeping my lips tight on, though the truly obsessed probably already know.

I would like some suggestions as far as what everyone's favorite species are. Those that think I should get a Ceph should voice their opinions as well and I will make my decision based on the arguments put forward by the two camps. Pictures would help, as well as what experiences you've had, but the ease of cultivation is not as important to me as I will find a way to keep it alive. I look forward to reading your opinions.

top pics in order, in terms of vigorousness and character:
H. sarracenioides --hyper robust, exotic looking
H. chimantensis --great divider, aesthetically pleasing
H. minor --small, compact, robust

im also looking at a few nova species as well, but i need to make up my mind.

if you're looking for hybrids:
H. x butchinensis (recently released to the US, hailing from Tincher Massif)
H. minor x heterodoxa (tolerates wide range of temps)

I would like some suggestions as far as what everyone's favorite species are.
Actually i'd recommend that you get comfortable in front of Bob Z's photofinder and see what you like.

Amp likes H. chimantensis - a species I doubt would ever make it onto my top three list. He also lists H. minor and doesn't mention H. pulchella - a species that has interesting hairy pitchers. I'm really enjoying watching my Foothills Testigos add new mature pitchers - very cool hood / nectar spoon - yet Amp doesn't list it at all...

My point is that it really doesn't matter what I like or what Amp likes if you hate it. Spend some time looking at the various species, figure out what you like, then go for it. :-O

My point is that it really doesn't matter what I like or what Amp likes if you hate it. Spend some time looking at the various species, figure out what you like, then go for it. :-O

The problem is that I like them all, so I can't choose - so I'm asking for opinions, so it matters to me at least, it's part being the member of a community.
However, I am a fan of H. sarraceniodes but I'd like to build up to that after I've had a primer course with another heli so I don't kill it right away.

I'd go for a wider variety, so you can really appreciate differences between species as they grow... Something short & easy like H. pulchella, coupled with a taller species (any one would do :p ), with maybe the dramatic tube-shaped H. folliculata...

But of course RL's suggestion is what I followed in picking the above 3 ;)

H.nutans is a good all around heli....it's got the classic heli shape, is easy to grow, and gets pretty large..if I could only have one, it would be nutans.

H. 'Tequila' is the ideal beginner's heli IMHO

robust grower, very pretty, easy to divide, tolerant of noob treatement

I would agree with Butch and add any of the natural or horticultural hybrids such as H. heterodoxa x minor, H. heterodoxa x nutans, H. x butchinensis; or H. tatei var. neblinae x hispida. Many of the hybrids are quite nice; also, hybrid vigor is no cliché; and some are among the largest of all Heliamphora . . .

Thank you all for your comments. So, I decided to start out with something small -- I'm getting H. minor in about thirteen hours, I'll have just enough time to get it settled before I go to work. I'll probably post some pics this weekend if I have some time.

H minor is a cutie. here's mine:
Heliamphora2.jpg

Awesome, I am so excited. Although mine will probably come while I'm at work (hopefully not) so my wife will have to bring it in to keep it from frying.

Back