What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this normal growth for purpurea?

as you can see, the older pitchers are short and tubby, but these new ones are long and thin. plus their "sail" is huge too. they stand above the plant a good 7-8 inches.. at least three times bigger than last seasons pitchers. whats the deal?

IMG_7102.jpg

IMG_7103.jpg

I would clear out all the smaller, old growth...that may help.

My S. purpurea often push out phyllodia and intermediate phyllodia/pitcher leaves at the beginning of the season. Many times the first few leaves of the season of many Sarracenia (all species) will be funky looking.

If the leaves continue to come out twisted or shriveled looking check for pests like mealybugs, thrips, scale or aphids.

Mine do that at the beginning of the growing season too. They'll shrink back down to normal proportions soon.

I would clear out all the smaller, old growth...that may help.

I wouldn't; I'd leave it. S. purpurea has been shown to to mobilize a lot of nitrogen from previous season's leaves to new growth.

Thanks Est, that's some useful info. I had to clear out mine's old pitchers due to some crazy crow's having destroyed them all; but I'll definitely keep them this season.

that's new growth, eventually the new leaves will toughen up and start to look like the old leaves.

Back