What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Order of Emergence from Dormancy

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Does anybody know the order of emergence for Sarracenia species? I don't have S. alata but I do have a flava, rubras, leucophyllas, minors,... and it seems that the flava was the first, followed by the rubras. The leucos seem to be among the last.

For me, here in southern Wisconsin, it starts with the purpurea ssp. purpureas and the oreophilas almost neck and neck, then the flava, minor and finally the leucophylla. I don't have ruba or psittacina, so I can't help there.

From first to last.......for me at least.....

Purpurea, flava, alata, rubra, leucophyllia, and S.minor.

Hmm leuco was definitely not the last for me, in fact it was one of the early ones. Psittacina, however, is always the last one to grow fully. It starts out early but takes a long time to mature.

dana's delight, hybrid, purpurea, leucophylla --- psittacina.

With my Sarracenia the order of emergence this season was as follows: purpurea, flava, S. x "Cobra's Nest," rubra, leucophylla.

Is there any correlation with how far north or south they are native?

For me it was purpurea (michigan), alta, rubra, purpurea (PA),judith hindle, psittacina ,junebug, leucophyllia, lovebug

Is there any correlation with how far north or south they are native?

I bet there is some correlation, since purpurea and flava occur in the northernmost of the range, they would need a shorter dormancy with the colder temperatures while alata, rubra, and leucophylla occur in the south where warmer winter temperatures might necessitate a longer dormancy. I'm no Sarracenia expert but that's what I understand based on the ranges of the different species.

There was a post on this very topic several years ago either on Terraforums or the ICPS forums.

For me:
S. flava, S. oreophila
S. leucophylla
most everything else
S. minor
S. purpurea, S. psittacina, S. rubra ssp gulfensis (other S. rubra fall into the everything else timeframe).

No significant difference between my NY S. purpurea ssp purpurea and FL S. rosea.

Interesting thread.
I didn't pay too much attention other than random hybrids being first.
Rubras were the last for me, but they were the first for lime...so..I dunno ???

emergence

For me here in Florida, Minor first, followed by Alata, Psitt, Flava, Oreophila, Leauco, Purp and Rubra.

In my experience:
Flava first
everything else
Minor last

My minor is just now starting break dormancy this year.

the very last for me is S. minor var. okefenokeensis. a few plants just started emerging in the beginning of July!

here in northern california, S. flava and oreophila are the first, followed by purpureas, alatas, rubras, leucos, psitts, and then minor, in that order.

For me in Indiana...
flava, oreophila, leucophylla, purpurea venosa, minor, psittacina.

Then lastly my Wilkerson's Red x OP. It typically starts the spring making phylloda and doesn't put out a mature trap until late summer.

'Leah' has attractive pitchers but not many of them. I have 2 plants in a pot and between them there are 7 pitchers, 4 of which are open. My 'Dixie Lace' & psitticina are like "watching paint dry".

Back