What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leah W.?

I received this plant in a grab bag from Lois O. last year, it didn't do much last year, so i didn't know what it was, other than it was probably a moorei of some sort. This year, it flowered and now a huge pitcher has been sent up. It hasn't opened up fully, or completely colored up, so I didn't take a pic yet, but there is a lot of white spots forming as well as a lg. red throat splotch, which made me start thinking it at least is resembling a Leah W. at this point. Anyone have any insight? Here's a pic of the flower, if that helps:

5806465289_d073702434.jpg

Why don't you ask her or have you?

I received a Leah W. F2 cross at a BACPS meeting raffle around the same time. I think it may have been from Lois as well, but I'm not sure. If so, I'd say that's a likely contender.

She's visiting family back east and may not have internet access until she returns.

She told me she would have internet access while she's gone so keep trying.

This is what I have for "Ah Leah":

001-7.jpg

101_0204.jpg

ok, here's some pics of the pitcher, about fully opened:

5891550785_6fa7f264a4.jpg

5891551235_c6094b4b1a.jpg

Looks like it could be. Once it fully opens take a pic.

Coloration is not the only attribute of S. 'Leah Wilkerson':

http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi?name=leah+wilkerson&submit=&search=all
[Sarracenia ' Leah Wilkerson ' {B.Garcia}]
P: Carniv.Pl.Newslett.34:27 (2005)
PW: www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v34n1p27_28.html
S: =[[Sarracenia flava {L.}] * [Sarracenia leucophylla {Raf.}]]
Introducer: B.Garcia, 5. 2002, from Walton Co., Fla., US
Nominant: B.Garcia, Atlanta, Ga., US
Registrant: B.Garcia, 12. 4. 2004
C: later synonym of [Sarracenia moorei {Hort.Veitch ex Mast.}]
HC: Registered 10. 10. 2005 {JS}
Description: Carniv.Pl.Newslett.34:27 (2005)

"Unlike most [Sarracenia moorei {Hort.Veitch ex Mast.}] crosses, it displays unbelievable hybrid vigor. The original genet measured over two meters (six feet) across with more than fifty pitchers; the tallest of these measured 130 cm (50 inches) tall, while the heights of the majority of the other pitchers measured between 86-97 cm (34-38 inches). The average lateral measurement of the hood was 17 cm (6.5 inches). In addition to its gigantic proportions, this hybrid is outstanding because of its stunning coloration. The lower three quarters of the pitchers are lime green, and the pitcher tops are lemon yellow with large areoles and light red veining. The ala is lined in red. The nectar roll is pronounced, undulated and mottled with red; this pigmentation becomes more solid near the column, and forms a throat blotch typical of the [Sarracenia flava var. rugelii {(Shuttlew. ex A.DC.) Mast.}] parentage. The lid is particularly colorful with an overall pale yellow color (verging on white) with regularly spaced strong red veining throughout. From a distance the lid takes on a peachy golden cast. The edge of the lid is edged in red and ruffled, typical of the [Sarracenia leucophylla {Raf.}] parent. This hybrid produces most of its pitchers in the spring - obviously an influence from the [Sarracenia flava {L.}] in its ancestry. In cultivation, these spring pitchers regularly reach 86-91 cm (34-36 inches) in height. A second flush of pitchers is also produced in the fall, and as in [Sarracenia leucophylla {Raf.}], these pitchers are even larger, measuring up to 96 cm (38 inches) tall."

Standard: Carniv.Pl.Newslett.34:28 (2005)
Propagation: vegetative only
Etymology: in honour of the steward of the site where this cultivar occurs naturally

It's not mentioned in the description there, but isn't the coloration of the flowers another distinction of Leah Wilkerson? On all the flowers I've ever seen, the petals were red with a streak of yellow/orange in the center, as in jimscott's photo. Could be a descendent though - there's plenty of Leah Wilkerson F2s and other crosses out there.
~Joe

I am jealous! even if it is not a true Leah W it still looks really nice. I got the grab bag last year and none of the plants look that nice. I have a couple moorei, leucophylla tarnoks, and few others that I am waiting to see as the get older some look like there is potential for a nice plant. Hopefully know that it is warming up in our area the plants can really start growing. Dont know about you but mine have been really slow.

Have a good 4th of July

Chad

Lois finally contacted me and said it is possible - she threw some in rhizome pile for the grab bags. Here's 2 pics from earlier today:

5917072759_84398c7854.jpg

5917071931_aa7808fcfe.jpg

Back