What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inside Out Flower?

I never noticed this before; maybe flowers just do it with age. But part of the flower (don't know terminology ??? ) is going the opposite direction on two of them.

Is this normal? I've have a couple anomalies with other plants, so I'm curious.

jYZJ0l.jpg

Huge version of the pic here.

I see similar things occasionally. It seems every year I get at least a couple flowers that end up looking odd in way or another. I don't think it's genetic, as other flowers on the same plant will be normal. I think it's either just some malfunction on the cellular level, or perhaps something had a little snack on the flower bud during development.

Some growers turn them inside out like that on purpose after hand pollinating the flowers. This is so they can tell which have been done. If you have hundreds of flowers maturing at different times it gets hard to remember which you have done and it is easier than fussing with tags of some sort.

Every day's a school day here on TF! An off-topic question you reminded me I've been wondering: what do Sarr seeds look like on the plant? I have many Sarrs and VFTs, but I only seem to get VFT seeds, unless I don't know what to look for. Or maybe you don't pollinate as well naturally, since I don't hand-pollinate.

A pic would be superb!

what do Sarr seeds look like on the plant? A pic would be superb!

They kinda look like sesame seeds. Sorry, no picture from me, though.

Back