What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia seedlings vs the sun

I have a number of Sarr hybrid and species that are ~18 months old, grown indoors from seed under 24/7 lighting. Seeing that they'll have their first winter this year, I brought them outside for the remainder of the summer. I was advised to provide them w/ indirect sun for a week or two in order to allow them to adjust, otherwise sun damage to the pitchers was a likelihood. W/ most of the plants I followed this advice and all was fine, however w/ a few I opted to see what full sun would do. Sure enough, most of the test plants were not pleased w/ my little experiment and promptly shriveled, only to toss up new pitchers that were fine. My questions is: what takes place in the plant that allows them to handle full sun? :scratch:

Appreciate any insight.

I imagine that the stomatas close a bit to reduce transpiration water loss from transpiration, and more pigments are created that protect against UV and other light (which also adds coloration.) There are chemicals that artificially do this, but I don't know which ones.

Happy growing!

dunno about the 24/7 lighting to normal photo period even if the sun is setting about 2100 in your neck of the woods. Plants will see it as shorten days and may go dormant. When I move mine outside I try to get them out when the days are longer than my photoperiod so that they don't go dormant.....

dunno about the 24/7 lighting to normal photo period even if the sun is setting about 2100 in your neck of the woods. Plants will see it as shorten days and may go dormant.

I don't think this will be an issue, at least it hasn't been for the folks on the forum who grow Sarrs from seed. Plus the plants that did succumb to sun exposure quickly started tossing up new growth that were fine.

I had the same thing happen to the S. minor seedlings Kula sent me.. I didnt think about it and just chucked em outside into the sun with my other Sarrs, and they all promptly dried and turned brown, BUT there's lots of new pitchers coming up that seem to be doing fine. Guess they just need to acclimate to the light...

I have a question regarding flourescent lighting with seedlings. I am unable to keep the llights on 24/7 so I was wondering if they will go dormant under an 11 hour photoperiod(currently 16) even if the temperature stays above 60 degrees. Also, if they go dormant, how should I care for them?

I have a question regarding flourescent lighting with seedlings. I am unable to keep the llights on 24/7 so I was wondering if they will go dormant under an 11 hour photoperiod(currently 16) even if the temperature stays above 60 degrees. Also, if they go dormant, how should I care for them?

I can't see them going dormant under those conditions but I question how much extra growth you'll get out of them. One Sarr grower I know runs his lights for 18 hours per day 24/7 for the first two years. I do 24 hrs because I'm too lazy to set up a timer. :- ) There are individuals here w/ far more experience though so hopefully some of them will offer advice.

There is a change in the pigments to allow them to handle full sun. Just like the human body. If we were to spend all winter indoors and then go out in the full sun we would burn, but if we go out incrimentally and tan first we can handle the brighter sun for longer periods. The plants just have to aclimate.

I'm wondering if the tissue is spread more thinly, to maximise the area for light capture? A side effect might be more transpiration - a plant won't suffer as much water loss in the shade.

I don't know about pigmentation issues. Anthocyanin free plants are happy in full sun.

Back