What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better Late Than Never . . .

Finally, my Darlingtonia plants are producing their first sizable pitchers of the season -- and it's only a few days short of 1 August. Slackers. This one, a favorite of mine, produces a "tongue" over 15 cm (6" across).

Darlingtonia californica
DC-4.jpg

Worth the wait?.......I think so. :grin:

blame it on the alphabet volcano

That is one dope Cobra.. I cant wait for mine to produce pitchers that tall/big. Maybe now that mine is repotted, it'll do that. :)

Very nice plant!

Darlingtonia californica cv. "Adrian SLACKERS"?

Very cool! Is your climate in San Francisco cool enough that you can grow them outdoors without much trouble? I love Darlingtonia, but they would completely fry up here in Novato.

00000000000000000000colona1_2.jpg

Ah yes, stunning mustache, isn't it?

Rotflmao!

Very cool! Is your climate in San Francisco cool enough that you can grow them outdoors without much trouble? I love Darlingtonia, but they would completely fry up here in Novato.

Yes, they are grown outside in terracotta pots in a 2:1 compost of live sphagnum moss and pumice. If you grow them in clay pots and offer some shade from afternoon sun, there shouldn't be a problem, even in Novato. I have friends in Austin, Texas who successfully grow them outside at the height of Summer; and it's a far greater challenge there than in Northern California . . .

Amazing!

That's a gorgeous pitcher!

Nice pitcher! Mine is just struggling to survive. : |

Here are a couple of more shots of new leaves, the second one shot at twilight:

Darlingtonia californica

DC2-2.jpg

DC-5.jpg

Back