What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gin Goblin

One of my gin goblins put up a nice big, fat, colorful pitcher. Reminds me of judith h. and you can't tell me there's not S. purpurea in it.

6003748431_ed1f2f2f0c.jpg

Beautiful! :-D I want it. :D

Ver' nice! Love it!

Off topic, but I think I came across your flickr or photobucket account once, and you had an amazing VERY dark sarr, almost black.. Do you happen to still have it, what was it, and do you still have a pic of it? I LOVE those dark red sarrs. :)

Ver' nice! Love it!

Off topic, but I think I came across your flickr or photobucket account once, and you had an amazing VERY dark sarr, almost black.. Do you happen to still have it, what was it, and do you still have a pic of it? I LOVE those dark red sarrs. :)

I'm assuming you mean this one?:

4914182314_70914fe9e6.jpg

It's an open-pollinated alata x flava. Yes I still have it, as well as a sibling that looks nearly identical, and a few other siblings that are a little different, but with still lots of red. They don't look as great this year for some reason, perhaps because they flowered for the first time this year. I did do several crosses with them, so I will have a bunch of seed available (hopefully!) sometime in October.

I'm assuming you mean this one?:

4914182314_70914fe9e6.jpg

It's an open-pollinated alata x flava. Yes I still have it, as well as a sibling that looks nearly identical, and a few other siblings that are a little different, but with still lots of red. They don't look as great this year for some reason, perhaps because they flowered for the first time this year. I did do several crosses with them, so I will have a bunch of seed available (hopefully!) sometime in October.

ahhh.. yes.. those... SO AMAZING! That is one awesome cross. Thanks. :) What all did you cross with em?

let me check my notes....

oreophila, godzuki, minor x ?, fireworks, red sumatra, oreophila x purpurea, leuco x flava rugelli, (orephila x flava) x leucophylla, lady bug, and cobra nest

wow, didn't remember doing that many with them!

let me check my notes....

oreophila, godzuki, minor x ?, fireworks, red sumatra, oreophila x purpurea, leuco x flava rugelli, (orephila x flava) x leucophylla, lady bug, and cobra nest

wow, didn't remember doing that many with them!

LOL wow! Good stuff! the cobra nest X should be pretty awesome looking. :) :boogie:

It that a black tube alata cross? It almost resembles alabamensis with its shape.

It that a black tube alata cross? It almost resembles alabamensis with its shape.

the pod parent is an alata x flava hybrid:
4917974472_509a767066.jpg

open-pollinated, so no idea what the dad is. i have thought the dad probably was at least partially rubra, because of the shape, and the pitchers are a little smaller. unfortunately, i don't keep good records, but I really don't think I had a rubra/alabamensis flower that year. the only possibility I can think of is a (rubra x oreophila) x purpurea that I know flowered that year, which was mostly a dark red plant, but who knows? I know I had a lot of flowers that year, so it's no use trying to guess. also, the flowers are red, unlike the yellow flowers of mom:

5815542680_34c9d0f97e.jpg

here are some siblings:

5108402821_f2af1d710f.jpg

this one probably looks most like what you would expect on a flava/alata mix.

4913579405_75417d90a5.jpg

this one has the widest lid, which makes me think there may be some purp in it.

4824391401_7c3d85a892.jpg

this one looks most like the original photo from the earlier post, with perhaps a slightly wider lid.

i have a few more that generally have red tubes and yellowish/green lids with red veins.

Nice “Gin Goblin” there Sarr. Mine isn’t much of anything and I’m probably going to toss it next year. That’s the chance you take with seedlings. Your dark alata x flava OP cross is outstanding. If you ever want to trade a piece away, I’m sure I have something to entice you. :)

Wow, that Gin Goblin is nice!
Mine still hasn't put up pitchers taller than 3" since I got it. I bet it's due to the fact that it's so small, my dad thinks it's a weed and keeps pulling it up :glare:

Back