What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

where is there a ceph growing guide

where can I find a good ceph growing guide I want to try some:hail:

Searching the forum will turn up lots of interesting reading, as will using your friend Google. Here are a few others to start ... Matt's, ICPS & another. Enjoy.

another was the best site thanks

I follow 'The Savage Garden'

It would depend upon where you are and whether you intend to grow them outside (as I do) or under lights. Both have advantages and disadvantages; and I agree with a few others here and seek out those who have had the longest success with Cephalotus . . .

Post up your conditions etc.... av8tor1 has fantastic experience and he taught me how to grow cephs. The key with them is: Open media, don't obsess with humidity and good light. Now they are like weeds and I never actually bother doing much for them. The plants take care of themselves.

i live in western Oregon zone 7 5-6 hours of sun a day shade the rest,temp mid 70f day 50f night humidly 80% night ,50%day (summer),winter inside t12 70F day 65f night low humidity
would like to try a giant if I can find one for a reasonable (cheap) price
would 75% quartz sand 20% peat work?

It would work, but why do you want such a high % of sand and what is the final 5%?

Joe

That sounds pretty good. Temperatures are nice and moderate. They will appreciate the high light. I would personally try growing it outside if you get a good sized ceph. Don't worry about humidity. I used to grow my cephs in a room with 30-40% humidity in a media with orchid bark 40%, perlite 20% and peat 40%. If anything, have a tray with some pebbles and water to place the pot on. That should make a nice microenvironment. But, if you are going to place it outside, it might need regular and constant watering in this media. Cephs don't mind this treatment at all.

Back