What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H. pulchella Chimantensis in flower

pulchella_chimantensis.jpg

pulchella_chimantensis1.jpg

A miniature even among pulchella
This flower is no larger than a quarter.

:crazy:

very nice, I didnt even know they could make pitchers from the flower stalk

oops,

Should be H. pulchella (Chimantensis Tepui)
Not the hybrid of the two :)

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

very nice, I didnt even know they could make pitchers from the flower stalk

Actually very common...

I just had no idea they could do that, can any other cps do that?

VFT's and some sundews can grow plantlets along the flower spike, it's called vegetative apomixis but that's not the same as this

yea i know with sundews but vfts? i didnt know that

@cpsammich: that's not a plantlet on the flowerstalk, it's just a leaf...

No they eventually form roots and can be planted separate from " mamma"

@cpsammich: actually no....heliamphora is considered a very "ancient" species of plant. isolated for God knows how long...while other plants developed modified leaves such as darlingtonia, this one kept this type of leaf structure for its flower stalk rather than develop other kinds...

here's a darlingtonia stalk for comparison:
IMG_1635.jpg

that same small leaf that sticks out of the stalk is homologous to the heliamphora stalk. they dont create plantlets.

beautiful pic btw Butch!

According to Andreas Fleischmann every (known) species of Heliamphora can develop a fully formed pitcher from the first bract on the flower stalk. On some species the other bracts will sometimes form pitchers that are not functional or fully formed. Some can grow fully developed pitchers from all the bracts. They are not plantlets.

I've been talking about VFT's, I have absolutely no experience with heli's

A beauty! I had one of those aerial pitchers last year. Is is considered "vegetative apomixis" with Heliamphora?

The colour on your plants never ceases to surprise me B. Amazing. Cute flower.

:0o:

:hail:

A beauty! I had one of those aerial pitchers last year. Is is considered "vegetative apomixis" with Heliamphora?

heheheh av googles "vegetative apomisix"..... hmmm me dunno David ???

:hail:

thanks for the nice comments, she is a little cutie :)

I dunno either. Heliamphora are definitely flowering plants:

(emphasis mine in all cases)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apomixis#Types_of_apomixis_in_flowering_plants:
In flowering plants, the term "apomixis" is commonly used in a restricted sense to mean agamospermy, i.e. asexual reproduction through seeds.

Vegetative apomixis: In this type "the flowers are replaced by bulbils or other vegetative propagules which frequently germinate while still on the plant". Vegetative apomixis is important in Allium, Fragaria, some grasses, etc.

http://www.sprrs.usda.gov/apomixis.htm
Apomixis is an asexual type of reproduction in which the plant embryos grow from egg cells without being fertilized by pollen—the male part of the plant.

What's going with Heliamphora is the bract develops into a pitcher leaf (fully functional or not). Bracts are neither flowers nor egg cells. Neither are bracts considered any part of the ovule which is where other forms of apomixis occur.

Leaf pullings from Heliamphora especially if part of the rhizome is included can sometimes root. A bract is form of leaf so I suppose they could root if you pulled one off. I'd rather not risk harming the flower and try for seeds as a method of propagation myself.

No, it's not, I only brought that up because helilover asked if any other cp's make traps on the flower stalk

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

In the first post where I started talking about vegetative apomixis I specifically said "that's not the same as this"

Back