What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus from Seed: 2011 . . .

In years past, I have typically planted Cephalotus seed in regular composts (http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121937&highlight=cephalotus+seed) and/or only briefly germinated them aseptically (in TC media). This time around, I have the opportunity of doing a bit of experimentation; not only are the seeds to be germinated in different tissue culture media; but half will also be cold stratified in the refrigerator through October -- next to the Guinness, Sriracha, homemade beer, Trichoderma, and a half-empty bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s (“The Sauce is the Boss”).

Below are shots of the hairy follicles, in which only a single seed -- embryo -- is carried, along with the dried remains of several flowers themselves -- as well as the seed in media. In the past, I have also gone to the extreme trouble of extracting them from the follicle covering; but I now leave that to those with far more patience than I possess and potent biocides . . .

Cephalotus follicularis -- 23 August
CFSEED.jpg

HGSEED.jpg

Nice!

Interesting..I have some of mine planted on a normal soil mix...I'm curious, how long do yours typically take to germinate?

Interesting..I have some of mine planted on a normal soil mix...I'm curious, how long do yours typically take to germinate?

They've taken, in compost, anywhere from eight weeks to a bit over nine months; and it's a bit of the reason why I am going to stratify a couple of containers . . .

good afternoon BB. I was wondering if you might share the media recipe for this round of ceph seed germination. Another great thread to subscribe to. Thanks!

They've taken, in compost, anywhere from eight weeks to a bit over nine months; and it's a bit of the reason why I am going to stratify a couple of containers . . .

Does stratifican speed up germination?.....I've done research on this and never got a clear answer.

good afternoon BB. I was wondering if you might share the media recipe for this round of ceph seed germination. Another great thread to subscribe to. Thanks!

Thanks. I am using 1:5 to 2:5 MS with 0.1mg/L BAP, as well as 3:5 Knudsen-C with additional myo-inositol (a friend provided a batch she was toying with for orchids; so I am unsure of the specifics of that mix for the time being). 25 grams of sucrose were in each liter batch . . .

Here is an update on one of several Cephalotus containers with the first sign of germination. This particular batch of seed -- sown 24 August 2011 -- was cold-stratified in the refrigerator ninety days prior to exposure to light in late November; and germination occurred approximately five weeks afterwards, shortly after New Year's Day . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Hummer's Giant" F1

CF-6.jpg

simply...AWESOME! congrats on the all the successful takes. hope the experiment works out for ya. ill definately stay posted.

Very nice BB! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Great post ! I look forward to the updates.

Very cool. This is similar to how people germinate orchid seeds (in gel), correct?

This is awesome!

Back