What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey terraforum members,

Yesterday I bought a new bag of peat moss and perlite from home depot, in order to re-pot my venus flytrap, and my three saracenia species. After mixing up the recipes per The Savage Garden, I realized that both bags of media were made by Miracle Gro. So, it looks like both bags contain fertilizer.

Here are the content labels:

1. Miracle Gro Perlite:
Total nitrogen (N)..........................0.04%
0.016 Ammoniacal Nitrogen
0.024% Nitrate Nitrogen
Available phosphate (P2O5).............0.01%
Soluble potash (K2O)......................0.06%

Derived from ammonium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, calcium phosphate, and potassium sulfate.

2. Miracle Gro Sphagnum Peat Moss:
Total nitrogen (N) ..............................0.05%
0.005% ammoniacal nitrogen
0.035% nitrate nitrogen
0.010% urea nitrogen
Available phosphate (P2O5)..................0.02%
Soluble Potash (K2O) ..........................0.04%

Derived from: urea, monoammonium phosphate, and potassium nitrate.

Here are the links to the label information:
http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/...plants/pdf/Miracle-Gro Sphagnum Peat Moss.pdf

http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/Miracle-Gro/soil/in_container/pdf/Miracle-Gro Perlite.pdf

In my not-very-experienced opinion, I don't think I should repot my sarracenia and dionea in this mix, because they probably will not like the miracle gro ingredients. Am I correct in thinking that these mixes may kill my plants?

The species to be potted are S. flava, S. purp, S. minor, and death box dionea (from home depot).

Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't use that on those species. Home Depot sells 2 cubic foot bags of plain perlite - look for a pale green bag. I haven't seen Sphagnum peat moss without fertilizer at Home Depot. Lowe's sell 2 cubic foot bales of Sphagnum peat moss and OSH sells smaller bags, all without fertilizer. OSH sells their own brand of perlite in 2 cubic foot bags too.

I'd spend the money on the bale and the large bag of perlite. It may last you several years but you won't have to worry about scrambling around trying to find small bags every time you run out for a while.

I agree that you should look for another brand of perlite and peat moss. They may not have it where you are, but most Wal-Marts, Lowes' and Home Depots have large tightly packed white bales of peat moss that don't have any additional ingredients. Perlite without additives might be more difficult to find, you just have to visit a specialized agricultural supply shop. You can also find it online, along with most other soil ingredients. Good luck with your new plants, and I hope this helps.
By the way, your icon is awesome! I grow a Nep that looks a lot like Victreebel, I think it's N. burkei

Lowes and HD both sell bails of peat for around 8-10 bucks. It is usually between 2-3 cubic feet. You don't need the perlite. Just get some lfs from the orchid supply area. It us around 5-6 bucks. The peat will last you years. Just keep it dry. Sarrs and vft should be repotted yearly to every two anyway. So straight peat works the best and has best results. Forget the perlite and sand. If you can oxygenate the water the better. Your plants will love it.

Thank you very much for the help everyone. I'll make sure to pay more attention to the brand of the soils and components I buy. I'll add the miracle gro products that I bought to one of my parents vegetable planters, instead of using it for CPs.

@Fox I still have a victreebel holographic card from several years ago. I like to keep it around as inspiration :)

@OrchidGuy I really enjoy mixing up the sand and the peat and the perlite with my hands ^_^

Be sure to rinse the perlite or wear a dust respirator as the particles can be very bad for your lungs. I you use less peat moss you help to conserve a non-renewable resource.

There are as many preferred potting mixes as there are cultivators. Much of this can be influenced by the particular micro-climate being grown in. What works in one area may not work as well in another.

You can grow them in pure sand if you keep up on watering. I know because I've seen it work. My mix is usually about 25% peat, 75% sand. It does dry out a lot faster.

@ Not_a_Number Thanks for the perlite handling advice, in the past I think my perlite was washed by a friend. In the future I'll be more careful when I buy it.

@Wireman Thanks for the advice.

Back