What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intergeneric Sarraceniaceae Hybrids?

Has anyone ever attempted to cross the different genera within this family? Like Sarracenia × Heliamphora, Darlingtonia × Sarracenia, etc.? I've always wondered if something like D. californica × S. psittacina would be possible since they resemble each other so much, but it actually turns out they are only distantly related within the family according to the DNA cladogram on this page. Rather it looks like Heliamphora is a sister taxon to Sarracenia, so those two would probably be the best candidates. Such a combination would produce some crazy plants for sure.

I dont think it would work but it would be an interesting thing to try...

Not going to happen:

Chromosome counts are incompatible:

Darlingtonia (2n=30)
Sarracenia (2n=26)
Heliamphora (2n=116) * H. heterodoxa and H. nutans

After meiosis the gametes would contain (n=) 15, 13 and 58 respectively. None are the same or multiples of the n count.

dews and vft might work there related

Not going to happen:

Chromosome counts are incompatible:

Darlingtonia (2n=30)
Sarracenia (2n=26)
Heliamphora (2n=116) * H. heterodoxa and H. nutans

After meiosis the gametes would contain (n=) 15, 13 and 58 respectively. None are the same or multiples of the n count.

True, though a horse (2n=64) and a donkey (2n=62) can still breed together and produce offspring with 63 chromosomes. It doesn't seem too far-fetched that Darlingtonia and Sarracenia might be able to produce offspring with 28 chromosomes, especially considering that plants are tolerant of chromosomal aberrancies than animals are.

Well, if my plants ever come into flower at the same time, I'll have to give it a try! A Dionaea × Drosera cross would be sweet, though their trapping mechanisms are so different it seems that IF they were to cross successfully, the resulting plant would end up with defective snap traps and cilia and not be able to catch any prey. Who knows...

.... a butterwort and VFT have been crossed...

Horses and Donkeys are in the same genus Equus, species Equus caballus and Equus asinus, respectively. There's enough genetic similarity that the chromosomes can form homologous pairs and fertilization occurs. The resulting offspring is viable in the same manner as an aneuploid (2n+1 or 2n-1).

Between genera is a different matter.

Crossing Dionaea with Drosera

Dionaea (2n=30 or 32)
Drosera (2n=12,14,18,20,22,26,28,30,32,34,38,40,46,60,64, or 80)

The most genetically similar Drosera species to Dionaea (based on chloroplast rbcL and nuclear 18S ribosomal DNA) is Drosera regia (2n=34). The similarities are not enough that you'll get fertilization.

You aren't the first to have thought of this and tried it. You won't be the last.

Yes but names are just an artificial human definition, and nature doesn't pay attention to whether we classify something in the same genus as another thing. If someone wanted to, they could move horses to another genus since they split off early from asses and zebras, and then it would be an intergeneric hybrid. When it comes to North American snakes for example (since that's what I know best), hybrids are not rare at all even between genera. Within the family Colubridae, many Lampropeltine genera can not only breed with each other, but produce fertile offspring that are capable of back-crossing with the parent species. For example, here in California, I know of at least a few Lampropeltis getula × Pituophis catenifer individuals that have been found in the wild. In captivity, people have also crossed Lampropeltis triangulum with Elaphe guttata and gotten viable, fertile offspring, among many other crosses. I tried looking up the chromosome counts of these genera, but I can't find any papers on it that are visible for free. Also among the rattlesnakes, Crotalus × Sistrurus has been found in the wild. So the fact that something is in a different genus is not always a barrier to reproduction.

Now of course, this doesn't mean that intergeneric CP hybrids are necessarily possible, but the fact that they are in different genera doesn't mean it's impossible. I guess it just depends on how early they split off from each other and how different their DNA has become over the eons. Are there any accounts of someone attempting Darlingtonia and Sarracenia?

Plants sort of straddle the lines in terms of the species and hybrid concept. Look at orchids for example. inter species as well as inter generic hybrids are commonly made and produce fertile offspring. But then again people have tried to make hybrids of the different CPs ........

Back