What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Eden Black" -- F1

David these have turned out well and can't what to see them grown! Great job as in everything you do.

Here is the first update on the new year, of one of the multiplication cultures, begun last Spring -- along with its first sign of germination last year. As of December, it had already been divided and sub-cultured three times.

It certainly beats the typical 2.5 centimeter growth rate per year of growing most Cephalotus seed in compost . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self" 11 April 2012

EBXSELF-2.jpg

11 January 2013

EDENBLACKXSELF_zps918ab4d1.jpg

Last edited:
wow thats epic growin eden-master those are beautiful plants
(if u ever think of selling afew pm me )

Cute little bundles

Will there be any fund raisers in the next year or two?

Very nice David!

This is fantastic.... Great job, sir!

BigBella I see you have been posting a lot about your TC setups I was just wondering what do you use as a medium?

BigBella I see you have been posting a lot about your TC setups I was just wondering what do you use as a medium?

Some of the media has been mentioned throughout the course of this and other threads; but no particular media serves every purpose. I routinely use various varieties of Miroshige and Skoog (with and without particular vitamins); Knudsen-C Orchid Media; Woody Plant Media; and a couple of custom-made mixes, as well. Then there's the issue of plant growth regulators which vary a great deal, depending upon what the grower wishes to achieve.

I suggest you check out the tissue culture forum at www.flytrapcare.com for particulars . . .

Here is another culture, of the only other recognized cultivar of Cephalotus, aside from "Eden Black." It was begun with a flat "vegetative" leaf, purposefully "wounded" by slicing into it; and was placed upon an experimental media with Thidizuron (TDZ) . . .

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Hummer's Giant" 16 January 2013
HUMMERCULTURE_zps6fe99b7a.jpg

Here are some recent updates, now that some of the cultures have been transferred to a plain media (without any plant growth regulators), to encourage rooting. It is encouraging that the Eden Black-selfed seed have shown such nice color, especially in the dim lighting usually afforded grow rooms . . .

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Hummer's Giant" (from "vegetative" leaf) 14 February
HG-7_zps30cef7bf.jpg

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self"
EB-B2013_zps8d59b415.jpg

EB2013_zps1868cdb5.jpg

good color indeed. Coming along quite nicely..

I'll be interested to see how they colour up when they are mature. The recent posts on CPUK Forum of Eden Black selfed look more like typicals as far as colouration goes - though the size and growth rate of one of them is impressive. Given that 'Son of Eden Black' showed good colouration, it would possibly suggest that there are large colour variations amongst the seeds.

I'll be interested to see how they colour up when they are mature. The recent posts on CPUK Forum of Eden Black selfed look more like typicals as far as colouration goes - though the size and growth rate of one of them is impressive. Given that 'Son of Eden Black' showed good colouration, it would possibly suggest that there are large colour variations amongst the seeds.

I was thinking much the same, though many growers tend to starve the plants of bright light, to get increased pitcher size; though I have seen a few of the "selfed" seed in the US with some decent coloration . . .

That's awesome! How big are they approximately?

Back