What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Eden Black" -- F1

Is the clump just one big mass or individual plants? How will you seperate them?

Is the clump just one big mass or individual plants? How will you seperate them?

Yes, to both. I'll divide it by cutting it with a scalpel and / or shears . . .

Oh what it would be like to have an abundance of cephs!

Nice job ! I have to buy a eden black this summer with my next order.

Here is a recent update of one of three clones -- this one, the most vigorous of the lot; and also, the one which most readily forms roots. It was purposely kept at lower light levels, so does not currently exhibit the brighter coloration of the others . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self" 20 June

ohhhhhh very nice David!

Not sure why but that kinda makes me hungry...

Not sure why but that kinda makes me hungry...

Hungry to own a hungry plant, are you?
Anyhow, you're making good progress! Definitely let us know when you see the first pitchers!

Anyhow, you're making good progress! Definitely let us know when you see the first pitchers!

Thanks all.

There are pitchers on the plant, though tiny for the time being; and it is difficult to see them in that particular photo . . .

I too was looking for the little fuzz balls. That much plant material makes me green with envy.

Very nice David! Great results you have putting this in Tc.

I just re-read the whole thread, and the progress is amazing. These are going to look great!

Here is the latest update on one of several cultures. The trick had been successful rooting with this variety, which had been a bit more resistant than others, for whatever reason. Some growers swear by liquid cultures on shaker tables to keep things aerated; but I alternated cytokinin-rich media for auxin-rich; and then plain with high sucrose (without plant growth regulators). That method proved successful . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self" 10.09

Last edited:
Very cool. Congratulations on the success!

Beauteous! Congrats. I love how you can see the roots through the medium.

Thanks all. That culture is one of five clonal lines; and, hopefully, some will breed true enough to the Eden Black. They will require a generous amount of light.

The first two clones, from the 2011 seed -- "alpha" and "beta" have been placed ex vitro, in live sphagnum; and I plan on donating a few to the 2014 NASC Auction, provided there is no high croakage rate . . .

Sweet! Looking toward to the auction!

Cannot wait til the auction. I envy not only your cephs but your skills in TC.

Thanks all. You folks are too kind . . .

Very awesome, good job BB...

Back