What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Eden Black" -- F1

Here are a couple of shots of "Eden Black -- F1" (Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Eden Black" x "Eden Black") seeds in tissue culture media. Generally, I cold stratify half of any "known-age" seeds for ninety days; but thought it more prudent, given the age of the seed, to immediately put the F1s under lights.

For those unfamiliar with the concept of cultivars ("cultivated varieties"), only those that were asexually (vegetatively) obtained -- from leaves or rhizomes, for example -- can be considered that true variety; and the F1 refers to the "first filial generation" of the sexually-produced seed (the product of that cross). Subsequent generations would then be F2, F3, ad nauseum . . .

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Eden Black F1" 10 November
EDENBLACKF1.jpg

Definitely let us know when those babies start to form!

dang sounds like this year is full of goodies for you! looking forward to seeing the progress!

Are you planning on just germinating them like this, or actually starting a line of "EB F1"s?

Edit: I mean are you planning on growing these out normally once they germinate, or are you planning on establishing a constantly dividing tissue culture line that you regularly get new plants from? :lol:

Last edited:
Exciting!

TC God! :hail:

outstanding david!!

Dude you rock ! Glad to see these in capable hands. Should be some interesting pups. It will be neat to see the germination rate in vitro vs the rest of us.

OOooo.. good luck buddy. May you be blessed with the riches of Eden.

Hi big Bella
David ,i have a lot of eden F1 seed here too , not sure weather to T/C them or natural germinate them , have many other large ceph seed here as well hummers , eden x eden , Julie Jones , dudley watts , and a few others too , i usually dont have much trouble natural germination , but so tempted to put them into T/C , have you have other success before with them , seen other posts but no results posted that i saw
John

Nice to see your process as always David. Might I ask exactly what medium you are using.

Are you using a Knudson C base? Or are you using MS. Is this one of your own mixes?

Would you mind posting the recipe?

Hi big Bella
David ,i have a lot of eden F1 seed here too , not sure weather to T/C them or natural germinate them , have many other large ceph seed here as well hummers , eden x eden , Julie Jones , dudley watts , and a few others too , i usually dont have much trouble natural germination , but so tempted to put them into T/C , have you have other success before with them , seen other posts but no results posted that i saw
John

I have aseptically germinated Cephalotus on several occasions over the years, along with rhizomes and leaves -- going back as far as college. On average, I have experienced a third greater rate of germination in TC media. I never bothered to photograph the process, since it was so damn wonkish and I was still hoping to land a date with the fairer sex . . .

I have aseptically germinated Cephalotus on several occasions over the years, along with rhizomes and leaves -- going back as far as college. On average, I have experienced a third greater rate of germination in TC media. I never bothered to photograph the process, since it was so damn wonkish and I was still hoping to land a date with the fairer sex . . .

yer i see you have to get your priorities right i know ha ha ah is it difficult to sterilise them hairy suckers , loo like it would be
??

yer i see you have to get your priorities right i know ha ha ah is it difficult to sterilise them hairy suckers , loo like it would be
??

They are hairy little buggers to be sure; and the best solution that I have found is a several hour (six in the case of the F1s) soak in an 8% solution of PPM (to 1:3 MS salts without sucrose or pH adjustment). In the past, I have even gone to lengths of removing the seed from the follicle -- read: far too much time on one's hands and a nice Nikon dissecting scope -- and have used alcohols and bleach solutions with lesser success.

I also germinate a few conventionally as a control . . .

Can't wait to see how yours do.. I decided skip cold strat on mine too and put em right into pots under lights..

I never bothered to photograph the process, since it was so damn wonkish and I was still hoping to land a date with the fairer sex . . .

:lol: Note to self:

Do not show girlfriend my tissue culture setup.

:lol: Note to self:

Do not show girlfriend my tissue culture setup.

If I have any worthwhile advice to share, that would definitely be it. Don't believe it for a second if they humor you and say that they're interested in the hormone jelo. False; absolutely false -- just like we're remotely interested in their shoes (unless they're stilettos) . . .

Hopefully I can grow a Cephalotus by the time EB F1's are readily available.

Congrats and goodluck!

Good job David... Can't wait till they mature!

Back