What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus rhizome cuttings

Cindy

Staff member
The rhizome belonged to one of the plants that arrived recently. It was examined so thoroughly that most of the fine roots came off. So, I thought it would make the perfect specimen to take cuttings from. :-O

cephalotus_rhizome.jpg

cephalotus_rhizome1.jpg

The seller suggested that it can be cut up into 5 pieces but I decided on 4 instead because I am no expert in rhizome cuttings.

cephalotus_rhizome_cuttings.jpg

cephalotus_rhizome_cutting1.jpg

cephalotus_rhizome_cutting2.jpg

cephalotus_rhizome_cutting3.jpg

cephalotus_rhizome_cutting4.jpg

Interestingly, the core of the rhizome becomes greener closer to the growth point.

cephalotus_rhizome_cutting_core.jpg

cephalotus_rhizome_cutting_core2.jpg

cephalotus_rhizome_cutting_core3.jpg

Current home until the cuttings are ready to be potted up. :jester:

cephalotus_rhizome_cuttings2.jpg

cephalotus_rhizome_cuttings3.jpg

Awesome! Hope they do well for you. Thanks for posting the pics, I've never seen rhizome cuttings from a ceph before.

Very nice! I hope they make plants for you!

I have never seen anything like this up close and in pictures either, so thanks a lot! Really cool!

Very cool. The Sphagnum looks nice and fluffy

I didn't know you could do that. Do you add any chemicals to help them along?

The recommendations I read in old issues of CPN was to allow a callus to form on the cuttings before placing them in media for best results.

After 8 days. :boogie:

cephalotus_rhizome_cutting1_241111.jpg

cephalotus_rhizome_cutting2_241111.jpg

cephalotus_rhizome_cutting3_241111.jpg

cephalotus_rhizome_cutting4_241111.jpg

That was quick. The tropical climate must suit the cuttings.

Whoah! That was fast! :0o:

Awesome progress. Congrats!

Holy crap!:0o:That's the fastest growing ceph cutting I've ever heard of! Don't they usually take months to take?

:hail: What's the secret?

Don't they usually take months to take?

"Months to take" is the timing when planting leaf cuttings with nothing else but a leaf, and not with parts of rhizomes that already have emerging growing points.

"Months to take" is the timing when planting leaf cuttings with nothing else but a leaf, and not with parts of rhizomes that already have emerging growing points.

aaahhh... so thats why they grew so fast

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

just askin... will you be keeping these? not that i expect free cephs at the trading post, i just wondered if they will ever be up for trade

aaahhh... so thats why they grew so fast

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

just askin... will you be keeping these? not that i expect free cephs at the trading post, i just wondered if they will ever be up for trade

sarracenia, please take a look at her location.... it's just more feasible to trade/purchase within country.

Well, phytosanitary certs for importations are not impossible to get locally. But I am lazy. LOL

Hmm, I wonder what APHIS will do to a Cephalotus rhizome from this part of the world...

The temperatures are in the range of 80-87F for the past week. The cuttings are under T5 lights but at one end. There is also a box of Byblis seedlings on top of them so there isn't a lot of light.

Back