What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why I love S. rubra

Just looove the colors throughout the year

98rrxf.jpg

this is S. rubra ssp wherri

my apologies for having the crappiest phone ever

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

ibhzza.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

just before it dies back for the year

I love wherryi! It looks good no matter what season it is (except winter).

nice.

though your plant ledge seems a little thin!

(kidding)

Beautiful plant! I love the color on that subspecies. I have a small Sarracenia rubra jonesii that's looking pretty pathetic right now (insects chewed off some of the pitchers, it's getting taken over by D. capensis), but I can't wait to see what it does in the spring.

same plant in the early
IMAG0806.jpg

and late summer
11-111688.jpg

For grins and chuckles, earlier this year:

101_0295.jpg

Oh yeah, just for further reference, S. rubra ssp. wherryi has been re-claddified as S. alabamensis ssp. wherryi. Confusing, I know, but you can see from the mouth it looks very different from S. rubra. Still a fantastic plant.

Oh yeah, just for further reference, S. rubra ssp. wherryi has been re-claddified as S. alabamensis ssp. wherryi. Confusing, I know, but you can see from the mouth it looks very different from S. rubra. Still a fantastic plant.
i'll have to go take a look at my plants!

It's well worth a look. It took me a few months to recognize the differences. A. alata still confuses me, sometimes, to this day. A lot of the speciation has to do with range isolation. If you look on a map S. rubra is far removed from S. jonesii, alabamensis, and alabamensis ssp. wherryi. It's kinda cool to see how geography affects these plants.

Back