What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seed collecting, moral, legal, or either?

boxofrain

does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Being new to this hobby, I have no insight as to the legality or morality of harvesting CP seeds from the wild.
Can I get some input from Y'all?
I can see issues and arguments arising from both sides of this.
I would like to collect some (not for sale) but not sure if it is right or not. ???

Seeds of north American cp species....dont go there. If you're really into collecting or obtaining location data plants, there are vendors in the us who are nonprofit who specialize in that. US very adamant about protecting native plants.

Needs to clarify...the fact that native species are readily available in cultivation should mean that there should be no need to harvest plants or seeds from the wild. Protected or not. But that's just my two coppers...

Last edited:
There are some CPs in certain states and in certain locations that are not protected...in these cases, use the ICPS guidlines and you should be good. Just make sure you look up the regs on the plants themselves, and if the property is considered a protected habitat.

What about cuttings of temperate Drosera? It barely effects the plant, and it's not preventing seed propagation.

What about cuttings of temperate Drosera? It barely effects the plant, and it's not preventing seed propagation.

I personally wouldn't have any moral issues with that...but laws against collecting a certain plant still would.

I think this is the best way to go across most plants. In my travels, it has been my experience that there is this sort of "unwritten rule" among us plant people that if we do steal a plant, we do it properly so as to not harm the plant. Take a leaf of a Mexican Pinguicula (Or Echivaria, or whatever) instead of the whole plant if you really want it. I've had basal shoots from my Nepenthes up at my university's greenhouse go missing, only to find them several days later in a pot near someone else's plants. And I don't care because they "stole" it properly.

If you know what you're doing, performing an asexual propagation on a plant wont harm in it anyway. And if there is no harm, how can there be any fowl? How, of course, I would never let anyone short of a certified expert to deal with the super-rare and endangered ones, but taking a leaf from a sundew that grows down the street to grow a few in your collection doesn't seem bad at all.

I have no patience for people digging up tons of plants, having no idea what they're doing, trying to turn a profit.

*end of rant*

Drosera leaf cuttings are okay.

Don't even think about collecting seeds from endangered Sarracenia. You will be arrested, most likely before you even get to the plants.

If you're looking for location specific plants check out Meadowview. I'll send you a PM with some details.

. And if there is no harm, how can there be any fowl?

chickens-honey-m.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :lol:

But yeah I think the ICPS link pretty much sums things up well.

I'm sort of of the opinion that relatively common temperate Drosera like rotundifolia will do okay with the occasional seed harvesting.

I know, myself, I feel very guilty taking plants from the wild. I have done it a few times with both individual plants and seed (they were of very common species), and I still just didn't feel good about it.

Things like Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Nepenthes, Cephalotus, etc... I don't think there is ever really a justification in taking seeds from such a slow growing and rare plant.

Back