What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarracenia dormancy question

An1matr0n1k

Brandon
new to sarracenia but not carnivorous plants. i just ordered an s.flava and was wondering if in the winter months i should keep the tray full at all times or if i should let it get low in between waterings. thank you

brandon

Shouldn't it be in the fridge ??

Keep it full and leave it outside in its tray. It should wake up in march. In summer the tray must be full too.

Media should be damp but not soaked. Too wet will encourage rot.

The climate in the Greater Los Angeles area is well suited for most temperate Carnivorous Plants that they can be grown year round outdoors. Shading or protection from the heat may be needed during the summer in the Valleys and inland areas.

As Amphiron notes during winter in most of California the medium should never be allowed to dry out completely but needs only be kept damp. Too wet can result in rhizome rot. You'll just have to play it by ear until you see what watering schedule works best for your conditions.

Last winter I just let the rain fill up the trays and left them that way, since I didn't know they were supposed be drier in the winter... I was lucky and none of them rotted. This time around, I've been filling up the tray with about 1/2" of water, letting it evaporate over the next few days, and then filling it up with a bit of water again. This way the plants stay damp without getting too wet or too dry. During heavy rain I dump the trays completely when they fill up. I know the LA area has a more arid climate compared to here, so your mileage may vary (i.e., you might need to fill up the tray more often).

thank you guys very much. i really appreciate it. it got shipped on monday so it might be here before the weekend. will post picks(although theywont be very impressive) as soon as it arrives. thank you again

brandon

If the trays are more than half full, no worries. Most of the rot and fungal issues are due to poor air circulation when growers leave their plants in a damp basement, so if your plants are outside in open air, you're good. Some growers also recommend spraying the plant with fungicide before you plant it.

Phil

Back