What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia surprise

I got this Darlingtonia back in May and it has been growing very well since then. Today I was looking at the pot when I noticed something growing in the corner:

moplants001.jpg

moplants002.jpg

I was impressed that this stolon was able to make it that far away from the mother plant, only to be stopped by the pot itself.

Thanks for looking!

It's always fun when plants do that.

:D

It gave you a present!

That's most likely a seedling, not a stolon runner. You can tell by the immature Sarracenia-like pitchers. Runners usually start out with mature/juvenile leaves with the full hoods.

However runners almost always end up on the pot edge. The solons normally extend up to several meters before sending up a new plant. In pots the stolons usually wind around the inside of the pot several times before emerging as leaves.

Could it be a Sarracenia? I planted some minor seedlings to see how they would do and I thought they had all died. Nah, just googled Darlingtonia seedlings and they look just like that.

The pot has never had seed in or near it, infact I have never had Darlingtonia seed. I suppose it could have been a hitchiker in the live sphagnum that I topdressed the pot with. It came from the same seller.

Oh well, a nice surprise nonetheless!

The hooked over "nose" is typical of Darlingtonia seedlings, as well as grow along the ground and the hoods twisting around:

07030006.jpg

~two year old:
01300003.jpg

If you obtained the plant potted, the previous owner may have had flowering plants nearby.

Nice photos and plants!

No it was unpotted. But I checked and it is indeed a stolon. The "root" attached to the plant reaches very deep into the ground. Too deep for a seedling.

Stolons are pretty thick, maybe 2-4mm in diameter, wheat colored and with vestigial leaves space somewhat regularly along the length, much like the flower scapes. I should have taken pictures when I repotted mine earlier this year. Roots don't have the vestigial leaves.

Here is a photo:

Are those little things on the side the vestigial leaves?

darlingtoniastolon001.jpg

Yep, that's a stolon. Expect to see much more of them in the future and more mature leaves next season :-D

Yay! Darlingtonia is proving to be much easier to grow than I expected!

With any plant if you hit the sweet spot for their growing conditions they'll thrive. However one growing season does not a growing success make. Pat yourself on the back after you've kept a perennial going for at least two full growing cycles.

I also think the stock of plants going around are much better genetically than say 10 years ago. Less tissue cultured plants, more divisions from plants grown in cultivation 10+ years. And a lot less poached plants on the market. Plants taken directly from the wild seldom survive in cultivation.

Suprising... I love it when plants do strange things like this!

That's so cool. How are you growing this? Is it outside? Terrarium with refrigerated dormancy?

Ahh very nice, and that looks like a pretty healthy darlingtonia! :)

NAN: As far as I know the supplier who sent me this plant tissue cultures his. It seems like a rather tough clone.

The plant is inside with no dormancy since my temps are low enough to put them into dormancy without removing it from the terrarium. I have it on a ten hour light cycle during the winter.

Next year I plan on giving it a really good dormancy.

Back