What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heat wave questions.

Hey guys. I'm not the best with Sarracenia and I only have a few left. S. alata, S. leucophylla (red), and I think one S. flava. Anyway. I live in Western Australia and at the moment the temperature is getting up to 41 - 42 degrees Celsius and only dropping a few degrees at night. Long story short, my plants look terrible. Should they be taken out of the sun, or could there be other, underlying factors effecting their health. At the moment, I am unable to take pictures and upload them, but might be able to in the next few days when my partner comes down as she is the only one with a camera. Just after advice.

It can get just as hot over here, and they do start to look terrible. Keep them wet and they'll make nicer leaves when it cools down. That's why S. leucophylla and flava produce phyllodia in the summer.

Ah, thanks for that Wire Man. I don't know why, but I've never had much luck with these things. My nepenthes, which I'm just growing under a bit of old shade cloth are going crazy. I have to keep going out and untangling them.

I would like to know more, since you imply that they never do well...
For starters, how long do you get those temps?
Also, what is your growing set-up?

In general, from what you said,
I would make sure I have them in a good amount of standing water.
(How much do they sit in currently?)
Perhaps increasing the water level might help.

Also, I might use shade cloth like for the Neps.
(Perhaps an either/or experiment.)

If there is a way you can cover the containers that hold the water,
like burying the container so it isn't sitting there cooking the water in the sun.
Some way to keep the water cooler may help, but then possibly just increasing the water level itself may be enough.

If what you are doing isn't working, why keep doing it? Try changing things a little at a time,
and watch the plants response. Indeed a picture may help. Until then, a better description of what the plants are doing may provide a lead.
Also, to know if it is not something else... information about what growing media you are using, what type of water, etc. It is hard to make a diagnosis with only "never had much luck " and " my plants look terrible".
If you really do want some opinions that may actually help you have success with these, then providing information will help make that possible. Otherwise, wireman pretty much covered a valid response to what little you have given us to work with.
(Just my opinion)

WA covers a lot of latitudes. Depending on how far north you are perhaps your winters are not cold enough for sufficient dormancy. If this is the case see this thread.

Usually in hot climates it is best to shade the plants in the afternoon and make sure there is sufficient water that the soil does not dry out. You may even need partial shade during the entire day during the peak of summer.

Back