What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my Hummer's Giant a goner!?

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
Well, if you're reading this you read the question. My poor Hummer's Giant of one year suddenly started turning brown and shriveling up. There are still some green spots on it, but for the most part it looks brown. :-( I'm totally at a loss as to what's going on here, as up until 2 days ago it was growing quite vigorously, and the typical plant right next to it is also doing perfectly. Same media, same temperatures, etc. I'm quite distraught, as it was by far the most valuable plant in my collection, and will be quite difficult to replace, mostly because of funding. :censor: Any hope of this guy pulling out?

It looks pretty bad. Looks like it was kept too wet. Do you let it go dormant for a few months in winter ?

If all else fails, see if the rhizome is still firm. Often, Cephalotus can experience crown die-back and survive . . .

Well I clipped back the dead growth, and gently felt the rhizome, which is still very firm, almost woody, so there is hope. The media is mostly sand, perlite, and a little peat moss, and is very well draining. I suppose I just watered it too much. With much luck it will resurrect itself. There is a touch of green on it, I'm crossing my fingers!

Back