What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of my Sarracenia are starting to send up their flower buds, and I figure I might as well try my hand at propagation since I have some interesting plants this time around. My Sarracenia alata "Black Tube" has surprised me by making two buds, and though unfortunately I don't have another one of its kind to pollinate it, I do have some other plants that could produce some interesting results, like Sarracenia ×moorei 'Leah Wilkerson', Sarracenia flava var. rugelli (not sure if this one will bloom this year), Sarracenia leucophylla, and a big mystery rhizome I bought recently.

Does anyone know if these crosses have been done before and if there are photos posted online? I've been checking CPPhotofinder, but they don't have everything.

Here's my S. alata "Black Tube":

And my big mystery rhizome, all I know about it is that it's supposed to be tall:

with so many hybrids, species, and cultivars, chances are that your specific cross hasnt happened yet.
however, let's say, if you were looking for S. alata x moorei instead, im sure it's been done.

best of luck!

Even if it's the simplest, most mass-produced hybrid out there, there's still nothing quite like making your very own.

Natalie, be careful. Once you start, you can't stop. I go so far as to go around each day and count which buds pop up, and put them on a list. Then I take the list during break time at work, and make matches, trying (unsuccessfully at times) to keep the early birds together, and the late bloomers together. Then I would grab a brush, or even a fingertip, and have a Sarr .... erm ... pollinating party. Raccoons took my first two crops, let's hope I can keep them out this year. :mwahaha:

What Lil Stinkpot said, very addicting once you start producing your own. I am getting into that myself this year.

I have a couple hundred in a community pot, the only survivors from the year before, I think. Whatever they are, they're pretty little buggers. can't wait to see how they turn out.

Sweet! I dunno if I'll have room for a couple hundred plants, even if they're just seedlings. Maybe I can do a giveaway with some of the seeds, if people are impressed by the parents. Using my el cheapo mystery rhizome will be fun, because I won't know what the mature pitchers look like until after I've already pollinated another plant with its pollen. But by the way the rhizome looks, the plant has got to be part S. flava, so there's no way it could be end up being ugly.

My 'Leah Wilkerson' I also bought as a rhizome, so I don't know what the pitchers will look like on that one either - there seems to be a good deal of variation between plants of that cultivar, which is weird because they're all supposed to be clones by definition. I just had to save my pennies for one since all my research pointed to that cultivar as producing the very largest pitchers of all Sarracenia. I really hope mine puts out a flower this year!

The S. alata is also a very impressive plant, even though when I got it last year it was suffering from being in far too small a pot (the back end of the rhizome was rotten) and also looked like it could have used more sun. But I cut off all the dead/dying parts and put it in a larger pot that it's already outgrowing again, and it seems to be happier now! It didn't produce any flowers at all last spring, judging by the old cut stems.

One plant in particular I'm super excited about even though it isn't large enough to flower yet is my Sarracenia 'Lamentations' × ([flava maxima × leucophylla] × minor). I know I've posted this shot on here before, but I'm going to post it again because it's such an awesome plant. :D This one is still dormant, but I hope I'll get some real adult pitchers from it this year.

agreed. that plant looks like a keeper. cant wait to see it full grown and en mass.

Sweet!

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. " Yoda :p

Even if it's the simplest, most mass-produced hybrid out there, there's still nothing quite like making your very own.

Aha who knows you may make the next biggest most colorful sarracenia :p

Aha who knows you may make the next biggest most colorful sarracenia :p

Absolutely! There is much variation with Serracenia hybrids. This is where it gets FUN!

Adding to the fun... I can now tell for sure that my S. 'Leah Wilkerson' is sending up a flower stalk too. :D

I wonder what I should do with it... I think a Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson' × alata "Black Tube" might be in order. Here's a shot of my S. alata from last year when I first got it... As you can see, it was not too happy at the time. It was being grown in the Central Valley, which means (a) the humidity was practically nonexistant, and (b) it was probably grown in at least part shade to combat the desiccating lack of humidity. So consequently, the pitchers weren't as dark or beautiful as they should have been. Also, the rhizome was severely cramped in the pot and the back was beginning to rot. This year it seems happy and it'll look a lot better!

1r3vig.jpg

Back