What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thagirion

Budgies are best
I got a few Sarracenias last year for my little tray garden. They did well then of course didn't look so good in winter. I'm not exactly sure what to do now. I know some need to be repotted.

6967759773_582fa320f9_b.jpg

The big one in the back with the brown parts is a rubra gulfensis and it's got grass growing out of its pot and looks over crowded. I'm sure it needs to be repotted, but does it need to be divided as well? If so I have no idea how to do that.

The venus flytrap in the front left is a B-52. It is coming back and it's nice to see big leaves since in the winter all it did was make lots of tiny traps. I think its getting a flower and may be two plants now.
The flytrap on the front right was a Lowe's cube rescue and now it looks to have turned into three plants and possibly a flower coming out.
The flytrap with only one leaf was a free one I got for ordering a certain amount from a nursery. It was a surprise dealer choice and it was a super tiny Big Mouth. I know I laugh every time I say that. That's the first leave its gotten so I'm sure it's fine in its pot still.

The two sarracenias behind the B-52 are also rescuse from Lowe's. A rubra and a purpurea and they just don't look so good. I don't know if I can make them pull through. The Sarracenia in the very back right was my first one. It's a Dana's Delight I bought at a pond store. It doesn't look so good either.

So any advice? I use a mix of 50/50 peat/pearlite. Oh and that new big green leave on my S. flava. I swear it was not there yesterday. That's awesome. It really surprised me when I went to take a pic of it just now.

I'm not sure if you have done this before, but repotting is super easy and kinda fun.

Mix the peat and perlite in a bucket or container that can hold it, add water and mix with your hands until it absorbs the water (you can use gloves if you want although it feels nice :)). You will need to add quite a bit of water.

You also may want another container with water to wash off the roots. Then just fill up the pots with the peat/perlite mix, with 2 fingers push a hole in the middle, and place the roots in. Then gently push the peat/perlite in the hole to fill in the roots and then add some to the top of the pot if you want to level it off.

Also be sure to update with pictures :D

Thank you. I'll definitely post once everything's been moved around. I do have two nice plastic bins I use for repotting my nepenthes and a few other things.

How long have they been potted up? They should be good for two years or more.

It's coming up on one year. But the ones in the very back left do look over crowded to me. You think they only need to be trimmed?

Well personally I trim the old leaves off just to make the plants look pretty. And of they get over crowded. Repoting is not going to change the ryzome any. Is the ryzome touching the sides of the pot? I really think you are good this year.

i'm with jb on this they should not mind been root bound

Back