What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Pitchers of the Season (2012)

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Well my first pitcher of the Season award goes to S. 'Adrian Slack' closely followed by S. oreophila "Sand Mountain #2". The S. oreophila actually started out first but opened a day or two later.

IMGP3992.jpg
IMGP3993.jpg

Let's see yours as they come along :banana2:

Last edited:
Very nice. My first one is a S. flava copper top.

6827432022_bd5fd5d85e_z.jpg

you lucky folks in the warm parts of town!

Nice. I hope with all the warm weather mine start growing soon too.

Thought I would resurrect this thread... took a few pictures after work today. Does anyone else have some recent shots of Sarracenia?

Sarracenia flava var. ornata
P1010464.jpg

Also in the flava pot:
P1010466.jpg

Stone county clones of Sarracenia alata

P1010468.jpg

Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson'
P1010469.jpg

Sarracenia 'Adrian Slack'
P1010470.jpg

Sarracenia leucophylla clones:
P1010473.jpg

Outside shot:
P1010476.jpg

Much to my surprise the tallest pitcher of the year so far is my stone county, MS Sarracenia alata clone C... passed up my adult Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson' pitchers and topped off just under 36 inches.
P1010479.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
wow. beautiful plants guys! i've got nothing yet. got pitchers in development, but nothing worth showing yet.

:-D Good lord those are nice plants! I have a wihile to wait, ho hum, but great to see what I have to look forward to. Thanx all for posting the pics.

Holy crap, that 'Leah Wilkerson'... It's a behemoth! I still don't have any fully-developed pitchers this year yet. My plants are behind schedule because winter finally decided to show up four months late up here. I'll get a shot of my S. alata "Black Tube" tomorrow... The pitchers aren't open yet (neither are the flowers), but they're getting pretty tall now.

Holy crap, that 'Leah Wilkerson'... It's a behemoth! I still don't have any fully-developed pitchers this year yet. My plants are behind schedule because winter finally decided to show up four months late up here. I'll get a shot of my S. alata "Black Tube" tomorrow... The pitchers aren't open yet (neither are the flowers), but they're getting pretty tall now.

Natalie, let me know what kind of coloring your alata has. I haven't had much luck with coloring... my flava var. rubricorporas are solid green every year, my atropurpureas are green etc.

Thought I would resurrect this thread... took a few pictures after work today. Does anyone else have some recent shots of Sarracenia?

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for posting :drool:

My plants are all still dormant! :(
havent even taken them out of the basement stairwell yet..
I considered it when we had the freak warm spell in Mid-March,
but now it has cooled back down to normal for this time of year..
still getting a few nights below freezing, so its not quite time yet, but soon..

Im doing a new method with my plants now..
did it for the first time last Spring, and it worked fine..
In previous years my plants would go into the basement stairwell (or the fridge, going back many years)
about the 1st of November:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page5c.html

I would then take them out about Mid-February..simply because 3 and 1/2 months was long enough for dormancy..
but then, I would have to keep them inside for at least a month to 6 weeks..
I dont like keeping them inside..
So now im simply keeping them dormant until they can go outside for real!
They have now been dormant 5 solid months..(a typical winter length for these parts)..
I plan to take them out in a week or so..
I also need to do a full repot on everything this year, which is another reason I don't want them to begin growing too early..

Scot

Oh, I just had a xJudith Hindle open up today - I'll try to take a picture when I get home! :-D The xUmlauftiana pitcher isn't too far behind either...

Great pictures, guys!

Baylorguy, one of my a S. flava var. ornata clones (I have 2 different ones) is very similar to yours in the first picture. Do you find that the outside of the tube doesn't really develop much veination? In contrast, my other one has pretty intense veination all over.
Also, what's up with the funky flower stalk in the fifth ('Adrian Slack') picture? :)

Hey Scott - just curious why you wrap your pots in plastic for the winter instead of letting them breathe in that stairwell.

'Leah Wilkerson' offspring
1005951800x601.jpg

A northern purp from Michigan x 'Leah Wilkerson'
1005956601x800.jpg

Last edited:
Here we go:

xJudith Hindle
DSC_0021-4.jpg

xUmlauftiana closing in as second to open hopefully soon
DSC_0016-5.jpg

Hey Scott - just curious why you wrap your pots in plastic for the winter instead of letting them breathe in that stairwell.

'Leah Wilkerson' offspring
1005951800x601.jpg

A northern purp from Michigan x 'Leah Wilkerson'
1005956601x800.jpg

Hey Zu - here's a pic of your flava flowering for the first time. This thing got huge this past growing season and has sent up 5 pitchers already. Sorry this pic is a couple weeks old.
1005916800x601.jpg

Holy crap "northern purp from Michigan x 'Leah Wilkerson'" is awesome!! :hail:

wow! Those are some awesome sarrs :0o:

Natalie, let me know what kind of coloring your alata has. I haven't had much luck with coloring... my flava var. rubricorporas are solid green every year, my atropurpureas are green etc.

Mkay, here's my S. alata. It's coloring up pretty nicely, I can't wait to see what this pitcher will look like in a few months. Right now it's about 10" tall, still a long way to go if it's planning on catching up with last year's pitchers at 25-30". Though when I bought the plant late last year, it had been grown in shady conditions, so these new pitchers might not be so tall.

Back