What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora Germination

@David wow thats a lot quicker then I thought it would take.

Just got my folliculata seeds today, dunno if it was an accident but there were six not five seeds in there.. thanks Butch! There are some N. aristolochioides seeds in there as well.

P1150045.jpg

P1150046.jpg

@David wow thats a lot quicker then I thought it would take.

Just got my folliculata seeds today, dunno if it was an accident but there were six not five seeds in there.. thanks Butch! There are some N. aristolochioides seeds in there as well.

dang, you better send it back.... I thought i checked all their micro-serial numbers :p

What conditions and techniques Luca? :poke:

No germ yet here. I'm still hopeful.

Butch, um day temps at 74 and night temps at 60. I have them in a bag with a couple small holes even though my humidity is always fairly high.

Here is the beginning of germination of Heliamphora folliculata from Butch, The Great and Terrible, "may his path be made smooth." The green of the radical is just visible as a thin green band at the tip of each seed . . .

Heliamphora folliculata 10 April
HFOLL-2.jpg

woohoo..... it's alive, IT"S ALIVE!

(homage to young frankenstein)

I have some good news :). As of yesterday I have one germination:

folliseedling.jpg

This is in the pot that has been covered with a bag. Nothing yet in the pot that has remained uncovered.

Anyone else having any success?

Crystal

Nothing yet here. :-(

same here.

Congrats, Crissytal. When can I get a division (heh, heh)?

I have some good news :). As of yesterday I have one germination:

folliseedling.jpg

This is in the pot that has been covered with a bag. Nothing yet in the pot that has remained uncovered.

Anyone else having any success?

Crystal

Congrats Crissy.... you the first au naturel of the bunch that I am aware of....

good to know the seeds are viable :)
I should be a week or two behind ya, hope mine do as well

its a chubby lil thang huh

Hopefully everyone will start having some luck soon!

Thanks BB and Av!! It means a lot. I didn't think I was going to have much luck with them. I should have a mature division ready in about a week BB ;).

A modest update and a very bad pic:

seedlingheli.jpg

Still only a single seed has germinated. I haven't lost hope though.

Anyone else having any luck?

Harvested seed from a new hybrid a couple days ago, only got 12....

H. parva x sarracenioides
IMG_3992_hf.jpg

IMG_4006_hf.jpg

IMG_4004_hf.jpg

(full sized)

After seeing the progress (or lack of) from the folliculata seed.... Im trying something different and soaking these in 500ppm solution of Gibberellic Acid (source: United Nuclear)
I will also mimic what Crissy did, pure LFS and bagged.

fingers crossed :)

H. parva x sarracenioides: Day 21

Woohoo, a quick peek tonight revealed at least 2 sprouts and maybe a third.
We have a new hybrid!

They were soaked in 500ppm GA3, but only briefly (10 mins).

No sign of H. folliculata germination, I think I should have covered those as well. It is still too early to give up though.
Historical observations are that heli seed can take anywhere from a few weeks to many months for germination, even among siblings.

:)

H. parva x sarracenioides: 1 month
5 or 6 sprouts now...

Couple baby pics LOL
IMG_4110_hf.jpg

IMG_4111_hf.jpg

and while taking the pics, I noticed a sprout in another pot

H. [tatei var. neblinae x hispida (Wistuba)] x unknown: 20 Days
IMG_4113_hf.jpg

These were treated with a 24hr soak w/ 500ppm Ga3 and sowed on the 21st of June.

I also have some H. parva x folliculata that were soaked and sowed on the 21st, no spouts yet

Maybe the folliculata are just naturally slow to germinate.

Oh, the surface has been treated with a granular trich product, the fuzzies are normal :)

Thanks for looking,
Av

Last edited:
Back