What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora Germination

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
I thought this might be an interesting topic to talk about. There isn't much information on the subject so I thought I'd try to document the germination process. I have no way of knowing if I'm going about it in the right way; it will be fun nonetheless :).

Its only been a few days so not much to document yet.

Here's an overview of what I've done so far. I've started with two pots filled with 100% LFS. Both pots will be allowed to stand in a bit of water to keep them from drying out (about 1/4" or so). One pot is covered with a clear bag with a few small holes to allow for airflow. The other pot will remain uncovered. Both pots will be grown under grow lights. Day time temperatures and humidity are around 64-65F and 58% humidity. Night time tempertures are around 60-63F, humidity is 70%. Now that spring has set in, it looks like temps are now going up around the lower 70F's during the day.

Here are the two prepared pots with the media, seeds, and one bag. I am using white markers to mark where the seeds are in the pot. Unfortunately I sowed the seeds before marking them....so I've lost a couple. They are in the pots somewhere lol. Also, I realize the tray the pots are sitting in have no water. They were moved there for the sake of the pictures.

pots.jpg

Close up of a seed:
seed.jpg

How are you guys doing with your seeds? I'd love to hear about your techniques and experiences. Any insights and tips would be appreciated as well.

Crystal

Last edited:
Very nice. I have always gone with the "bagged" option, since I am certain -- slack-jawed punk that I am -- that I'd allow the other to dry . . .

I think i would lightly dust the seed with trich powder before sowing.... research has shown that if done at that stage, the trich will get a good headstart on any nasty biopathogens

But that is just me thinking out loud :)

Im very curious to watch and learn....

BTW, good luck everyone.... I hope those of you that got some do well with them.
A thread like this will be good ref in the future.

Butch

i did something similar. i had a pot filled up with 50:50 LFS and perlite. however, i layered the top of the pot with milled sphagnum (microwave nuked and cooled) and horticultural sand--non compacted.

when i sowed my seed, i made sure that the seeds were not completely exposed and that some portion of them was covered by the media, either a grain of sand or hiding in some cracks created by the milled sphagnum.

the pot is sitting in standing water to ensure constant moisture and 4 inches under some power compact fluorescent lighting.

fol1.png
fol2.png

Last edited:
Thanks Av. I should have thought about the Trich before sowing but didn't. It will get done today.

Thanks BB! I had considered not allowing them to sit in water...they would both dry out if I didn't especially with the temperatures slowly increasing with spring. If it looks like I'm going to have problems with the non-bagged pot staying moist enough, I will bag it as well.

UnstuckinTime they are H. folliculata selfed.

Thank you amphirion for your detailed response on how you sowed yours. It is probably a good idea to make sure they have good contact with the media. Please keep us updated on your progress. I will update as soon as anything interesting happens.

Good luck everyone!

Crystal

wow.... someone grew some mighty purdy heli seed ;)

Ill try to sow mine this weekend

wow.... someone grew some mighty purdy heli seed ;)

Ill try to sow mine this weekend

yes. yes. someone did.

OAH BAO DAOWN TO TEH GR8 HELIZ GAWD HAILING FROM TINCHER MASSIF!

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Seeds arrived today 3/17/2012. Mahalo Butch :)
Media more or less standard Sarracenia germination media. Sand, quartz grit, volcanic rock, some turface and peat.

DSC_00040002_10.jpg

Seeds arrived today 3/17/2012. Mahalo Butch :)
Media more or less standard Sarracenia germination media. Sand, quartz grit, volcanic rock, some turface and peat.

Looks promising . . .

Oh btw, anybody have any concerns with the shipping method????

I thought the microcentrifuge tubes were the cat's meow :)

(sorry for the small tangent :) )

Your shipping method worked great! I had no issues with it. It kept the seeds safe and sound :).

microfuge tube worked like a charm. just the tape was a pain to get off :p

What could be more better than those micro-centrifuge tubes?

Cool beans.... and yeah, i think i may have went overboard on the tape :p

Ok, my turn
and please excuse the crappy out of focus pics.... was sorta in a hurry and rushed through the process.

Making up some voodoo brew:
DPP_0158.JPG

Standard heli mix in 6" pot:
DPP_0159.JPG

5 volunteers:
DPP_0160.JPG

heli seed au jus:
DPP_0161.JPG

and in their new home:
DPP_0162.JPG

:p

Seeds were shipped great! Loved the tubes!

Hi everyone,

What's your temperatures like? It's like early summer year round here so I might have to put the pot into an air-conditioned room. TIA!

And yes, Butch. I will use trichoderma and will try at least one seed. Maybe two. Maybe all. :angel:

@cindy: im planing to keep my seeds relatively warmer than typical heliamphora temps. 2 true leaves from germination, i will then move them into cooler conditions.

Hi everyone,

What's your temperatures like? It's like early summer year round here so I might have to put the pot into an air-conditioned room. TIA!

And yes, Butch. I will use trichoderma and will try at least one seed. Maybe two. Maybe all. :angel:

woohoo.... :hail:

Back