What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia from Seed!!

Man I love this thread! There is a lot of great crosses and plants coming and thanks for sharing!

Dionae, that Willisii x alata red/black is amazing and that color contrast is stunning! I was wondering has it stayed that way?

Thank you Kinjie! If youre talking about the plant in my last set of pics, yes, its kept its colors. Its a really vigorous grower too.

Thanks guys :)

Wow guys, those are all some great looking plants and seedlings.

Yuri - you have quite the collection. Very nice growing!

Eric - Yours are coming along really nicely. A lot of promising plants. Can't wait till next year's growth. And I have to agree with you on those purp x Moorei plants of Vic's. Those have some stunning color to them.

Always a pleasure to see what you have cooking Victor. Your collection is growing by leaps and bounds and is looking great. Btw - what is that purp loooking seedling of mine you have there?

And I have to agree with you on those purp x Moorei plants of Vic's. Those have some stunning color to them.

Always a pleasure to see what you have cooking Victor. Your collection is growing by leaps and bounds and is looking great. Btw - what is that purp loooking seedling of mine you have there?

Thanks Fred. My garden crosses slowed just a little this year due to arrival of little one, but still collected some seed this year that I'll be able to share around. That one seedling is labeled FH44. You tell me?

Thank you Kinjie! If youre talking about the plant in my last set of pics, yes, its kept its colors. Its a really vigorous grower too.

Yes the last set of pics. Great plant and very special!

Thanks Fred. My garden crosses slowed just a little this year due to arrival of little one, but still collected some seed this year that I'll be able to share around. That one seedling is labeled FH44. You tell me?

Vic - That FH44 was an open pollenated seedling of this catesbaei "Sunrise"
1002806850x639.jpg

I want to see more pictures people! Haha

I want to see more pictures people! Haha

Here they are :)

DSCN7589.jpg

DSCN7601.jpg

Some one 10 months old seedling
DSCN7592.jpg

DSCN7591.jpg

This is quite funny, the following are two mooreis, on the left is S. x moorei anthofree, on the right is S. x moorei red. That was the result of a pollination made with two different pollen (anthofree flava and rubricorpora) on an anthofree leucophylla
DSCN7590.jpg

Love that "Sunrise" plant and the seedlings Fred. Stunning plants Yuri!!!

Some that stuck out in fall for me

S. purp burkii x x moorei

DSC06582.jpg

DSC06583.jpg

This one sticks out. Has deep red on peristome and all the way down pitcher tube
oreo Sand Mountain x minor 'Okee Giant' seed from NAN NASC Auction
DSC06588.jpg

DSC06589.jpg

These grow in a circular formation
S. (jonesii x minor var. okeefenokeensis :nono:) x (psittacina x minor 'Okee Giant')
DSC06595.jpg

DSC06593.jpg

I like minor and psitt hybrids despite some folks, some are weird looking.
complex one
S. (psitt x min 'Okee Giant') x x formosa all different clones
DSC06597.jpg

DSC06599.jpg

DSC06600.jpg

DSC06601.jpg

'LW' x moorei "Red" looks more like 'LW'
DSC06602.jpg

DSC06603.jpg

looks more like "Red"
DSC06607.jpg

Last edited:
beautiful plants, guys.. I really like the first formosa cross pictured, droserabug. Its veining really pops out

WOW very nice plants. :O

Awesome psitt hybrids!

Dbug, those all look great and that LW x red is looking to be very special too!

Nice. Is 'Oke Giant' a specific cultivar, or do you mean minor var. okefenokeensis?

Nice. Is 'Oke Giant' a specific cultivar, or do you mean minor var. okefenokeensis?

These were the parents, female
http://www.cpphotofinder.com/sarracenia-x-rubra-jonesii-x-minor-okee--3232.html

pollen
from a big S. psitticina x minor 'Okee Giant', the pollen donor hybrid does include 'Okee Giant' cultivar genes.

so to be more speicific S. (rubra subsp. jonesii x minor "okee") x (psitticina x minor 'Okee Giant'). The mother plant S. rubra subsp. jonesii x minor "okee" I obtained from someone local six years ago, fantastic plant. I believe their labeling was referring to var. okeefenokeensis. Alexis always corrects my mistakes. I do try to be consistent with my ' ' " " rules. Miss em in a hurry. I edited appropriate. Thanks.

according to Barry Rice the cultivar term 'Okee Giant' is synonymous with the varietal term okefenokeensis. He blames the horticultural industry for this synonym but I have never seen this plant sold by anyone under that cultivar name it is always S. minor var. okefenokeensis. Hope that helps! and very nice seedlings btw DB, I can't wait to see what the seeds I gave turn out like they should be very interesting.

Your right they are synonymized http://www.cpphotofinder.com/sarracenia-minor-var-okefenokeensis-151.html so both of the hybrids probably contain 'Okee Giant' same as var. okeefenokeensis genetics. I was sticking to my labels. When I received the jonesii hybrid it was labeled with minor "okee" so I guess you could assume the nursery meant 'Okee Giant' or var. okeefenokeenis several years ago. Thanks.

Last edited:
Heres some pics from my greenhouse thats dedicated to sarracenia seedlings.

DSCF9427.jpg

DSCF9428.jpg

DSCF9429.jpg

S. 'Evendine' OP

DSCF9442.jpg

S. flava x 'Evendine'

DSCF9443.jpg

Purpurea hybrid

DSCF9444.jpg

S. purpurea

DSCF9445.jpg

S. alata red/black x 'Kilimanjaro'