What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarr. flava "Carmelitta" bloom

uphwiz

jimmy
this is tha same plant ive had for a year now . looks like its going to make it . its putting on a couple blooms and has two new pitchers starting.:-D
Guess I need to start the clean up all my sarrs are in need of a good grooming. LOL
carmilattosarr1.jpg

carmilatosarr.jpg

carmilattosarr2.jpg

looks good! You have anything else flowering to cross it with, or are you going to try to self it?

Agreed! Lookin' good! They'll appreciate the grooming too. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Nice plant, but you may want to consider removing those sedges or they will choke your sarra to death.

not sure what a sedge is , is it the grass like stuff. if so i do have to remove a lot of that stuff two or three times a year from all my pots ,is there a way to stop it altogether.
thanks for the advice broken.

not sure what a sedge is , is it the grass like stuff. if so i do have to remove a lot of that stuff two or three times a year from all my pots ,is there a way to stop it altogether.
thanks for the advice broken.

Just yank it up and make sure to get its roots. Twist while pulling. Though I do think that some might be able to go unnoticed and survive... many methods for controlling plants can harm the sarracenia too.

can this sarr be self pollinated and if so how do i protect the bloom so it isnt accidentally cross pollinated by another near by sarr? any help would be appreciated.

Sarrs are designed to prevent self pollination... so if you want flowers, you either have to have other sarrs around or pollenate it by hand. If you look inside of the flower, there should be a group of yellow-orange anthers. This is the male part. You should be able to see the pollen collecting in a large, almost umbrella shaped structure.... this is the female part. The receptive stigmatic surface is almost like a hook pointing down. To pollinate the plant, you must transfer the pollen from the male part to the female part.

update

update , wow this bloom is huge:banana2:
IMG_5381.jpg

wow! It looks nice. Did you try selfing it, or do you need more information?

still opening its larger today, and im beginning to see more of the innards , but may need a bit more info than what ive read here , not to be stupid but im just not sure i understand the process, there is another bloom starting to open too. so i should have plenty of time to pollinate , as the other sarr blooms in my collection arnt even close to opening yeat. also will I need to protect the bloom after it has been pollinated. so it wont get crossed later as the other blooms open?
thanks for any advice and interest in my plant

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

it actually is starting to color up too, getting some orange and red to the lower petals.

Back