What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia growers

That's great looking..... LFS!

I grow a couple different variety's and I would suggest a terrecota pot that has a airy (orchid bark) mix to help keep the roots cool but also with spaghnum,perlite, vermiculite and some peat to retain a good amount of moister. I have been growing these outdoors for a couple years now and tend to be very hardy for me. They have been in cold weather and 90+ weather without water and very little maintance for several weeks at a time and have always grown steady for me.

JB - I suspect that your circulating water reaches temps during summer that the cobra's will be unable to handle (imo).

I think that's due to the availability of nursery seed grown/cultivated plants reaching critical mass within the last 10 years.
While this is probably a big step in the right direction, there are very few people outside of Left-Coast'ers who have successfully grown these plants for several years at a time (notice the locations of the posters who've had success). I've had multiple people from the PNW tell me that the plants can be grown here (NJ) but I've yet to find anyone who has found success without significant intervention (one guy hung a fresh 2 or 3 liter frozen soda bottle above his plant each day - the condensing moisture gave it cool water all day long). Personally, I've failed in all of my attempts. I was able to keep them alive for a year or two (sometimes) but they always seemed to be in a slow decline and died either during winter or a summer hot spell.

Tommyr's 4 year success may be the longest I've heard about (but I suspect NY state is cooler than SC...).

Good luck if you decide to try - share updates with your status ...

Here are a couple of pics from today of my Darlingtonia californica, which i have had in my possession since 2007.

IMG_2664-Darlingtonia-californica-June-14-2012.jpg

It is sending up new growth from at least four growth points, and is still doing quite well in its 13 inch pot.

IMG_2669-Darlingtonia-californica.jpg

I'll try and do another comparison update just before it goes back into dormancy sometime in November. :)

dvg

very nice i hope mine grows that big

Awesome plants!

Back