What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. leucophylla storage and transport??

I am in Australia and my Sarracenia leucophylla just gave off a bunch of seed. I'm moving to the U.S. permanently in a few weeks, and I want to take them with me. Is it legal to import these seeds into the U.S.? Would I have to declare them?
Also, I know you're supposed to refrigerate the seeds. Assuming I can take them with me, would it be better to refrigerate them and then take them out to travel, then refrigerate them again? Or should I keep them in a cool, dark place and wait until I'm in the U.S. to refrigerate them?

excellent questions and do you know of any local drosera online publishings

These are the import regulations regarding plants and seed in baggage. Most important of all you need a phytosanitary certificate. If they qualify as small seed lots you do not need a phytosanitary certificate but you do require a written permit PPQ 587. If the amount of seed does not qualify as small seed lots and are over 12 taxa then you require a written permit and as phytosanitary certificate. I do not know if permits are available to non-US residents. You cannot apply for an ePermit as you need to show identification in person to an authorizing agent in order to gain level 2 access to the website. You might be able to use mine or some other members small seed lot permit:

Passenger Baggage:
Importers may bring in up to 12 soil-free plants and seeds of herbaceous plants that are not subject to prohibition or special requirements such as a permit, treatment, or ESA or CITES documentation.
To import more than 12 plants, an importer must have a written permit and the plants must enter the United States at a port with a USDA plant inspection station. All quantities of plants or seeds must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate from the exporting country unless the importer has been granted a USDA import permit exempting such documentation.

Port of Entry and Inspection:
All plants and seeds must be inspected and must include Phytosanitary Certificates except as noted above (e.g. small seed lots with PPQ 587). It is recommended that if importing more than 12 plants in Passenger Baggage that you call before your trip to make arrangements with the inspection station at the port of entry (see list linked below for contact information). Otherwise the plants and seed will be inspected by a regular Customs Agent.

List of Plant Inspection Stations
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/plant_inspection_stations.shtml
CITES (note specific Port for Dionaea)
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/downloads/list.pdf

Specific Regulations
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...div8&view=text&node=7:5.1.1.1.6.8.36.5&idno=7

(e) Any restricted article not designated in paragraph (a) of this section may be imported or offered for importation into the United States only after issuance of an oral permit for importation issued by an inspector at the port of entry.

(f) An oral permit for importation of an article shall be issued at a port of entry by an inspector only if all applicable requirements of this subpart are met, such article is eligible to be imported under an oral permit, and an inspector at the port of entry determines that no measures pursuant to section 414 of the Plant Protection Act (7 U.S.C. 7714) are necessary with respect to such article.

Seeds should probably be declared as "Seed for Planting". They can be stored dry in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Letting the warm for a few days for transport and putting them back in cold storage will not harm the seed.

Contact Permit Services:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/
Telephone (301) 734-0841 or (877) 770-5990 (Toll-Free Automated System); Fax (301) 734-4300; Email: Permits@aphis.usda.gov

Depending on how much seed and taxa you have why not mail them to the US on someone's Small Seed Lot Permit and they can forward them to your US mailing address?

Last edited:
Thank you for the info! It's very helpful to me, though I have found that I don't have the time to apply for permits- I leave in 8 days, and it would take a long time just to apply for the website. :S
How does mailing them to someone with a Small Seed Lot Permit work?

The permit holder sends you a copy of their permit along with a green and yellow label. You package the seeds in individual packets per taxon, no more than 50 seeds of any one taxon, no more than 50 taxa total. Packets (clear envelopes or bags recommended) must be labeled with the scientific name. Seeds must be free of pesticides, pests, and debris. Copy of the permit, list of contents (scientific names) and contact information go into the parcel. Green/Yellow label goes on the outside and parcel should be addressed to the center on the label. Air Mail to/from US-Australia is usually around 1 week.

Back