What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stored Sarr pollen use and pollination during rain...

joossa

Aklys
Hey guys. I'm planning on doing some very controlled Sarracenia pollination rounds this year and have a couple of questions.

I'm using Q-tips and labeled aluminum foil envelopes to store pollen in the fridge for later use. I'm using one end of a Q-tip per flower and collect pollen everyday in order to have the pollen accumulate on each Q-tip.
One of the early Sarrs to flower is one of my flavas. So much pollen has accumulated on the Q-tip end over the last few days that I can clearly see small wisps of pollen "dust" emerge off the Q-tip end as I collect more. Given this, how many Sarr flowers do you guys think I can pollinate successfully with one Q-tip end? Should I feel comfortable in continuing to pollinate multiple flowers with one Q-tip end as long as I see that there is pollen on the end? Do you guys set a limit?

-----

Do any of you move your flowering Sarrs inside or to a sheltered location during rainy days where you can continue to collect pollen and pollination? We are going to have a bit of rain soon here in Southern California, and I would like to be prepared.... I don't want rain making pollen splash around inside the flowers, maybe even risking self fertilization.

Thanks for your help! :)

I've never stored pollen in the refrigerator for more the 3 weeks having no idea how long it will remain viable. Perhaps Av8tor1 or someone else with a microscope will run some tests.

The only problem with using the same swab repeatedly that I foresee is contamination of pollen from the other flowers. You might try using another single use swab to transfer pollen from the "storage" swab to the stigma. Some people use a toothpick with the tip dampened with a tiny amount of water or vegetable oil. I prefer using a small water color paint brush and have a number of them. Sometimes I'll just use a swab for single use.

Since my balcony plants are under an awning rain isn't much of a problem unless there are high winds too. I've never considered moving them for reasons of pollen. I guess you'll have to use your own judgement there.

Good point on the chance of the storage swab contaminating the pollen of another flower. Using a one time use swab for actual pollination seems like the way to go.

Well, the rain is coming and about a dozen flowers look like they are about to pop open. So, I've moved some to the covered area by my patio.

Thanks again!

Back