What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A new Cephalotus clone on the block...

holy crap...
If this is legit, then that is really cool!

Ya know, I don't get the hype behind some of these "extra dark" clones. My typical turns that color in strong light all the time. This is a nice plant, no doubt, but I'm just sayin....

I agree, that Cephalotus takes on more colour under certain conditions. I find that the darker colouration occurs when the temperatures drop, such as in the cooler autumn/winter months. However, some clones get darker than others and some seem to take on colouration much more readily. My Tank Ceph 2, for example, takes on much better colouration than either my Hummer's Giant or Big Boy under the same growing conditions.

I agree as well. I have a few which are actually even darker than the one in the photo, so dark that I can't help but wonder if it's dead and check it up close again and again. I don't know why they get so dark but not all of them do even though they're side by side.
I'll take a photo tomorrow.

Also I think it depends on the way you take the picture.
My ceph can shown simliar if not darker colouration that clone, also with bigger pitchers
But without a clone name, its won't worth much.

2011-12-19170531.jpg

Also I think it depends on the way you take the picture.
My ceph can shown simliar if not darker colouration that clone, also with bigger pitchers
But without a clone name, its won't worth much.
Yes, but you could give it a clone name, then it'll be worth more ;)

At the end of the day, buyers will pay what they believe it's worth to them and colouration of Cephalotus seems to have a big influence on that.

Last edited:
Wow thats an interesting clone! Sure went for a lot of money... It looks like a eden black clone that was spray painted with a purplish color.

Meh, Cephalotus clones... The only ones I've been truly impressed with are Eden Black and Tank Ceph 2.

The fact is, its just a deep-red typical.
Thats how the seller name it anyway.
However, the plant wasn't mature when I brought it.

I agree as well. I mean its nice..but my plants become that red too. Maybe not the a black red...but a more burgandy red.

Yea I really like cephs but I don't really understand why people would pay so much for a clone that looks exactly like some typical clones. Isn't this hobby about the beauty of the plants not the value? At least that's how I like to look at it.

Back