What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new bog opinions needed

currently i'm growing my sarrs in in ground kiddy pools and plastic barrels. i'm thinking for a new bog, i may line a hole with a double layer of 6 mil greenhouse plastic and poke a few holes. the only downside i see off hand is it eventually breaking down and being a pain in the butt to remove, but that won't happen for about ten years. any thoughts?

Most likely will have to change out soil more like every 4-5 years depending on size and depth; it also depends on what you use for media, water quality, etc. I use 6 mil for my inground bogs, one is a depth of 18 to 24 inches. I do not poke holes in the bottom all over, but rather slope the bog slightly to one end and poke a few holes in the bottom and side there, you can also put in PVC pipe near the top on that low end for overflow. I also poke holes a few inches from the top around the bog to handle flooding in the winter. Too many holes for drainage means having to water more often.

the sloping is a good idea, i can put vft on the shallower end. thanks for the input

the sloping is a good idea, i can put vft on the shallower end. thanks for the input

Yep, I keep the VFTs slightly mounded on the upper end of the bog. I mostly top water in summer, but every few weeks or so I deep water by putting PVC pipe all the way to the bottom in several places (big bog) and let the water slowly fill from the bottom up. That loosens the soil somewhat as it raises up and helps to aerate. It also brings up those pesky night crawlers that sometimes get in there so I can get them out.

Back