What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowers around the bogs

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Here are some flower pictures I've taken around the bogs over the last few days. Enjoy!

IMG_2358.jpg

crop-1.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Wow everything looks great! How big is the bog?

Very nice looking pics!

Beautiful! I love the last shot. :)

I don't know if I'd leave the caterpillar be, there is one species that munches on the ovaries and developing seeds of Sarracenia. S. purpurea mainly as I recall.

Thanks everyone for the kind words :). Unfortunately some of the flowers were hurt with two consecutive nights of freezing temperatures. Looks like I'll lose all the fully opened flowers and a few that were not yet opened. The weather also nipped my D. filiformis back pretty bad too.

Potted_Plants, the bogs are 8ft long and about 3ft wide or so. I have three of them in a row about 2ft apart. I'll try to get some full bog shots maybe tomorrow.

Thanks NaN for the recommendation on the caterpillar. I had no idea. After the photos were taken, I plucked it off. Hopefully it will find another plant to munch on.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/wetland/plants/pitcher_plant.htm
The caterpillars of several moths feed on the Northern Pitcher Plant. These species include: Exyra fax (Epauletted Pitcher Plant Moth), whose caterpillars feed on the inner surface of the tubular leaves; Papaipema appassionata (Pitcher Plant Borer Moth), whose caterpillars feed on the roots; and Endothenia hebesana (Dull-Barred Endothenia), whose caterpillars feed within the seed capsules. This last moth is polyphagous (feeds on many plants), while the other moths feed only on Sarracenia spp.

So maybe not the culprit. Mach could probably tell you what species that is.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/132143

Oh too bad about the damage, but they looked nice. At least you got some picks. Yeah, I would have been concerned about the caterpillar too.

Very nice Crissy,

Good to see you posting more, love your pics.
You're a bad influence hehehehehe

Which lens?

TS,
Butch

Its a tent caterpillar, if you've ever noticed the web tents in the trees. They pretty much feed on tree foliage. So the Sarrs should be safe.

Back