What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can you germinate sarrs on coconut fiber?

like the thread title says, i want to know if you can germinate sarracenia seeds on coconut fiber. im thinking of ordering some from D amatos site. i think heard something about neps being grown in it, and i know that nepenthes arent quite as sensitive to nutrients as sarrs, so i just want to make sure its ok before i start anything. oh, and one more thing. those germination kits that come with "peat pellets", are they sphagnum peat or some other type that would be harmfull to CPs?

The peat pellets seem to have some sort of fert in them. Last time I used them, back in 2009, the seedlings didn't do very well (they were flytraps). The other ones I had in pure peat did much better. It was the opposite for bean sprouts, since they liked the nutrients.

I think you could sprout sarra seeds in it, but it would be rather pointless if you can get good quality peat moss. You'll need to wash the coconut fibre to get rid of any salts.. That's what I heard, anyway.

do you think i could sow them directly into the new minibog im starting(i just bought the pot today,now i just need the peat!),or would it be better to start them indoors?

Back