What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tarnok Noob Question?

Hello fellow CP growers! Is it true that S. Tarnoks can not be pollinated to produce seed? I think I have read this in one of my books and it kinda makes sense but I just wanted to double check. I have three lime sized flowers this year and I was poking around in them kinda scratching my head. My goal is to produce as much seed as possible from my plants to grow and trade! Well if anything, the flowers sure are nice to look at :-D

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7082/7089927753_63da0224be_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5454/6943860054_b155aa84ab_c.jpg

I think somebody got 2 or 3 seeds out of a flower once.

Good luck, but the most likely scenario is going to be no seeds I'm afraid!

Very nice flowers! I hope my Tarnok produces flowers as nice as these!

There is a way to try to get seed out of 'Tarnok'. Pyro mentioned it one time but I can't find his post. It isn't easy since the "flowers" are normally lacking stigma and anthers.

Why bother? The plant is in mass tissue culture from AG3 and it divides enough on its own after a couple years you'll have more than you'll know what to do with.

I see in somewhere that the seeds are infetile and can't grow any plant by seed
i don't know if this its true

Thanks Steverd! The flowers are all fully opened now (it shot up 3 of them) and they are the size of mandarins! (maybe even bigger!) I am still kinda shocked about how big they are. I am sure you will have flowers in no time! The weather here in the Bay Area in CA has been great and my plants have been loving it too!

Not a Number, I could split the Tarnok into at least two but being fairly new to carnivorous plants i'm still kinda scared to do this for fear of killing the plant. (this summer will be 1 full year for me raising carnivorous plants) My seed question stems from wanting to know any and everything about my plants. I'm kinda weird like that.:crazy:

I took a close look at the "flowers" today. What look like petals are multiple sets of sepals. There are ovaries (deformed) and a deformed style with stigma. There are no anthers. The "umbrella" part of the style is deformed and turned inside out. The stigma are five tiny whitish hooks spaced around somewhat evenly.

I suppose you could try to pollinate these with pollen from another plant. I doubt any seed would be viable but you can always try. The offspring even if self pollination were possible would not/should not be called 'Tarnok'.

Back