What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ceph... with Hitchhiker?

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
So I just got a new Ceph today. It's a great looking specimen... LOTS of growth points.

The thing is... it's got a Sarr growing out of it:

90412797.jpg

That's cool and all, but I wonder if it's the best thing in the world to have a plant like a Sarr sharing a pot with a Ceph. Do you think I should remove it somehow? I don't want its roots to choke the Ceph out. How would I do so without disturbing/uprooting the Ceph?

Advice welcome!!!

I would separate them now. As the Sarracenia grows it will eventually push the Ceph out of the pot and shade it out.

Looks like the Sarr is growing mostly on one side, so you may be able to seperate them with minimal disturbance of the cephs roots. Squeeze the sides of the pot a few times, just enought to loosen the soil from the side of the pot, and try to slide the soil and plants out while keeping the soil ball as intact as possible. Then just work at getting the sarr out from the side , trying not to disturb the ceph, then I would suggest repotting the ceph in a larger pot. If your Ceph grows anything like mine has, you'll definately want it in a larger pot (try to go for a taller pot too, which will help keep the roots from getting too wet, though I would also suggest you dont let it sit in water for this reason. I use a wick system for mine and it works GREAT). Good luck!

Thanks guys!

Ceph: repotted. This time sans Sarracenia. I've never repotted a Ceph before, so I'm PRAYING I didn't upset the roots too much.

342f5269.jpg

I threw it in a 4" pot. The top layer is just the media that the Ceph came potted in from the vendor... looks like mostly sand with a bit of milled LFS in there. About a half inch beneath that is a mix of basically 1 part peat, 1 part perlite, and 1 part sand.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Ceph in its new home:
661a521a.jpg

The Sarr is doing just fine! Got it potted up under my lights for now. Probably not gonna be able to keep it for long, but for now it's a welcome guest!

The Ceph on the other hand.... ehh, not looking so happy:
DSC01406.jpg

DSC01404.jpg

Notice the crispy pitchers and the yellowing stems. It's like whole growth points got pissed and decided to give out. I've got it bagged up, but other than that I'm leaving it alone. Is this just shock that I should let run its course? Got my fingers crossed, but advice is welcome!

I dont know much about cephs but I know they dont like high humidity so that bag might be bad for it. They can rot easily.

That probably isn't a hitchhiker, more like a bonus.

Ah, forgot to post a pic of the Sarr:
DSC01402.jpg

Bonus indeed!

@Heli, they can totally handle humidity. It's constant sodden conditions that are problematic. The media the plant was shipped in was pretty wet, but I haven't watered it since I received it. I suppose the best I can do is wait and see!

Sorry to hear about the ceph. Yeah, be very careful with how moist you keep it, and definately don't have it sitting in any water. Taking it out of the bag MIGHT help, but no promises. I think with some consistant care it should pop back. Let us know how it goes

Thanks Rich. Yeah, I'm super concerned because the stems seem to be yellowing starting at the growth point and not the pitchers. But a few of the pitchers still seem to be holding up. I also can't tell yet whether the new growth has been abandoned. I'll keep a close eye on it.

I did just cut the corners off of the bag. I'll go ahead and take the bag off in a few days if I don't see improvement.

This Ceph is in a terrarium with a misting system which runs for one minute twice a day. BUT it basically sits right underneath one of the nozzles, so the only water it ever gets is a bit of mist that ends up getting blown around my terrarium by my fan. But definitely no standing water or anything.

Fingers crossed...

Sorry about your ceph. Its never good when you order a plant and within a few weeks it dies.

Why cant you keep your Sarracenia? I would be happy to trade you something for it!

It ain't dead yet, not by a long shot! Best case, it's set back a few months... but I think this guy has some fight left in him. All I can do is leave him alone, watch, and wait.

I won't be able to keep this Sarr too long because eventually it will outgrow my terrarium and will need to be put through dormancy. I can't provide proper conditions for dormancy. Though for at least a month or two, I'd like to hold on to this Sarr to see if it'll put out some mature pitchers. I have no idea what kind it is, so I'd like to see how it turns out & perhaps identify it. I'll keep you in mind when I decide to send this little one on its merry way, though. Thanks for the offer!

Allright then. Good luck with your ceph and identifying your sarr.

ive nearly killed my ceph like 3 times since i've had it.. Each time it died back to nothing then started growing again.. What yours looks like right now is exactly what mine did when I had to repot it.. but it always came back, so all is not lost. Just water it like an african violet, keep it in that tank and dont mess with it from now on and it should be ok.

I agree with Brie. Some of the pitchers that were impacted by the disturbance died back - the others look fine. As long as the 'dying' doesn't continue to progress, you're good to go (imho).

Back