What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Greenhouse Awakening

Here are a few photo taken over the last couple months showing everything coming out of a Colorado dormancy.

2-1-2012
Photo%20Feb%2001,%2011%2016%2037%20AM.jpg

Photo%20Feb%2001,%2011%2016%2053%20AM.jpg

3-25-2012 Just repotted all my flytraps.
Photo%20Mar%2025,%206%2028%2036%20PM.jpg

4-13-2012
2012-4-13_Nepenthes%20041.jpg

2012-4-13_Nepenthes%20091.jpg

Seed Grown Darlingtonia 8 years old now. It is one of the plants I have most struggled with since I moved into greenhouse from terrariums years ago. I had a fellow CP grower over last spring and he suggested burying a pot on the South side of the greenhouse to keep it cool. It has been just over a year the plants finally seems happy. It will be really interesting to see how it does this year.
2012-4-13_Nepenthes%20052.jpg

2012-4-13_Nepenthes%20063.jpg

4-15-2012
2012-4-015.jpg

4-17-2012
Photo%20Apr%2017,%204%2052%2031%20PM-001.jpg

Photo%20Apr%2017,%204%2052%2039%20PM-001.jpg

4-25-2012
Photo%20Apr%2025,%2010%2016%2000%20AM.jpg

4-27-2012
B52s
Photo%20Apr%2027,%206%2029%2047%20PM.jpg

A2s
Photo%20Apr%2027,%206%2030%2017%20PM.jpg

4-30-2012
Photo%20Apr%2030,%2011%2014%2005%20AM.jpg

Photo%20Apr%2030,%2011%2013%2049%20AM.jpg

Thanks,
-Jeremiah-

Holy jealous! I wish mine were that awake!

Ah, Jeremiah. Is there a plant you can't grow?

AWESOME!! all your plants are very cool!
one question what is the black tube that goes into the pots?

Mato lol if you want to know the truth that has actually been one of my goals. To basical grow a perfect plant as a representative of each type of carnivorous plant, and most Nepenthes species. Right now there is only one that I feel like I have not succeeded with...Cephalotus. I have tried just about everything in my greenhouses and they just never seem to do well. I have cultivated some plants for over 8 years and they are still just lousy looking specimens in my greenhouse.

My project for this summer is set up an terrarium or two and see if I can do any better.

droseraboy
That is a drip irrigation system I use to water almost all of my plant in my large greenhouse.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

Wonderful plants Jeremiah, thank you for sharing!

I need to get myself a greenhouse...

I didn't realize you had quite a collection of Sarracenia as well -they look great, of course! I fell in love with Cephalotus last spring and decided, in spite of a reputation for difficulty, that I'd give it a go. This is my original plant, about 11 months in my care:
20120501-224227.jpg

(not trying to hijack your thread, I apologize) my Cephalotus all spent the winter in my Nepenthes house against the south wall, with reduced watering. As day length shortened, they went semi-dormant for a couple months, then made a load of green paddles in February/March, followed by the start of new pitchers. Three of my plants are flowering as well! I feel like I ignore them, mostly. The soil is pretty much half sand, half washed peat, and they get rainwater only. They are all potted in tall ceramic pots, glazed a whitish cream color, to reduce solar gain. The soil is topped with a quarter inch of coarse white builders sand. All of this seems to work. I just wanted to share my experience with this plant, in case it might give you an idea or two for caring for yours.

Jeremiah,

Very nice mate, Cp Shangri-La....

Butch

Very inspirational Jeremiah. Thanks for sharing pics. Threads like this makes me want 2 greenhouses. One for sarracenia and one for nepenthes:).

Yup, I'm having to *ragequit* the hobby :lol:

Excellent as usual Jeremiah.

Thanks guys,

Paul that is a beautiful Ceph, exactly what I'm hoping to grow. I'm wondering if they are just exceptionally sensitive to TDS in water. I use tap water for everything I grow and TDS usually runs between 20-40ppm. It honestly would surprise me if that was the only problem, when I got a chance to see them growing in the wild they were growing within feet of saltwater. I'll probably end up purchasing a RO system to see if that make a difference.

It has been one of the earliest springs in Colorado I can ever remember, last year we were still freezing at night until May 17th.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

Have you tried using Butch's "trich bath" technique on the cephs? I've done it a few times now and many of the pitchers have doubled in size.

Thanks guys,

Paul that is a beautiful Ceph, exactly what I'm hoping to grow. I'm wondering if they are just exceptionally sensitive to TDS in water. I use tap water for everything I grow and TDS usually runs between 20-40ppm. It honestly would surprise me if that was the only problem, when I got a chance to see them growing in the wild they were growing within feet of saltwater. I'll probably end up purchasing a RO system to see if that make a difference.
-Jeremiah-

Thanks, J. I have to admit I am very happy with my first 10 months with cultivating this plant. My experience with it would lead me to think that it isn't nearly as difficult a plant as the mythology would have us think, but I think I may have just been lucky. I wonder if my climate plays a role in my success? I mean, I live close enough to the west coast that summer nights here are always (and I do mean always) cool: by 7PM temps always cool way down, no matter how warm the day. It is very rare to experience a summer night that doesn't drop below 60F. (most nights drop below 55F) Day temps are not "hot" either; rarely above 85F. This "Mediterranean" climate is probably similar to what the species experiences in its native climate, I would guess. I feel certain that my climate plays a role in the health of my plants. (warm days, cool nights: significant day-to-night temp differential)

Regarding TDS in the water supply: last Summer, for about 4 months I had to rely on the municipal water supply for my CPs. I had the water tested and results indicated a TDS of 45ppm, very much in the same range as yours. That said, I used a filtered supply from the local food co-op and (supposedly) the filtering removes Cl, and Fl. (although I am told our municipal water contains neither) I wonder if Cephalotus has a sensitivity to specific elements in the water? I know many plants are sensitive to Fluoride, which can leach out of Perlite when used in a soil mix (best to limit how much you use, and if possible, soak and rinse it a couple times before you use it) That said, I do not use Perlite in my Cephalotus soil mix, not because it was a strategic decision, but simply because I chose coarse silica sand instead, since in nature this is likely most of what they grow in. I hope that gives you some ideas for getting better results with yours!

we have great weather in the summer here in the emerald valley

Awesome greenhouse!!! I love all of your vft's

:0o:

I'll take one of each please. Thank you.

You have some really nice looking Sarrs there! Those flytraps are awesome too! :awesome:

Thanks for posting!

The soil is topped with a quarter inch of coarse white builders sand.

Sorry to continue the hijack, tried to PM but your box was full. Where did you find that sand? I've only been able to find very fine 30 grit silica sand locally and I'm not happy with it.

Sorry to continue the hijack, tried to PM but your box was full. Where did you find that sand? I've only been able to find very fine 30 grit silica sand locally and I'm not happy with it.

Tony,
I buy coarse silica sand from our local builder's supply (not sure of the grade, I will have to look). I use it for my sand filtration system, to clean the irrigation water I pump from the river to use in the gardens/greenhouses. I would think that any builder's supply would have something appropriate, but be aware that this is sold in 80 pound bags. (I think most people use it in concrete mixes)

Back