What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Urgent! Help needed with H. Minor.

Roman,

Current thinking is this pathogen may lie dormant in many if not all heliamphora..... It has long been the curse of the heli grower. When I first started I had issues with it, many do. It is thought that temperature has a major effect on it coming out of "dormancy".
Whether it's actually dormant or the plant just becomes more susceptible is not really clear yet. However, it does seem clear that the higher the temps, the more likely the infection.
Heliamphora can and are grown at high temps but the likelihood of failure is greatly increased.

It is commonly thought that a temperature of 77f is a recommended maximum.

Since using Trichoderma atroviride I no longer have had any more occurrences with this pathogen. For me its application is a monthly routine on all my Cp's (less Drosera).

Of course YMMV.... But I can tell you that many if not most "seasoned" Heliamphora growers on this side of the pond use it.

Many of the fungal pathogens can grow faster than the Trichoderma. The key is maintaining a healthy culture of good fungi to prevent the bad fungi from getting a foothold.

HTH's Av

Last edited:
Well I stripped away the rotting/dying pitchers and repotted my H. Minor in fresh media and placed into into a clear plastic container with saran wrap over it.

The root system looked and felt quite woody. I was expecting them to feel soft and look rotten but fungal infections are a totally new area for me. Here's hoping for the best...

Is there anything else I could do to help its chances of recovery? Perhaps adding a humidity tray filled with cold water?

I'll give an update on the plant status when I see any changes.

Keep it cool and bright.... normal heli conditions

Back