What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grrr Birds destroy Heli's!

Got up this morning and found my entire collection of Heli smashed along the floor of my greenhouse! :( Some had been uprooted from their pots and several are without growing points now. I had suspected birds when I saw a couple of younger plants outside their pots near the open door of the house. But the chaos inside made me wonder whether it was the neighbours dogs or some other animal. But think a bird(s) flew into the greenhouse and panicked trying to get out.
Been growing in this house for 15 years with the door left open in the summer without an issue- closed at the moment. Guess that netting will be the best solution.
Only just watered and cleaned up yesterday and they were looking really good! Repotted all I could and hope the ones with no growing points eventually resprout.
Some neps were dragged over as well but they are more built to survive that kind of damage.

I have had this issue with birds using compost for nesting material with plants grown outside and finding VFTs outside their pots. Had not expected this in the greenhouse. A bit depressed....

bill

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about such wholesale destruction. When I take the mulch back from the bogs in the spring I need to cover them with netting raised on stakes so there is a space between the plants and the nettign. Other wise the birds totally tear up the VFTs and dews.

Sorry to hear about that :(. I hope they recover!

:ohno:good luck on the recovery,don't get too depressed ,maybe some retail therapy will help,a couple of new plants does the trick for me

That's really bad news Bill. You have some lovely Heliamphora in your collection.

I thought it was birds one time and had the same issue. It was a grey squirrel. Digging in my pots looking for whatever.

Stick a shiny spinning windmill out there. Or something that flaps in the wind.

Got up this morning and found my entire collection of Heli smashed along the floor of my greenhouse! :( Some had been uprooted from their pots and several are without growing points now. I had suspected birds when I saw a couple of younger plants outside their pots near the open door of the house. But the chaos inside made me wonder whether it was the neighbours dogs or some other animal. But think a bird(s) flew into the greenhouse and panicked trying to get out.
Been growing in this house for 15 years with the door left open in the summer without an issue- closed at the moment. Guess that netting will be the best solution.
Only just watered and cleaned up yesterday and they were looking really good! Repotted all I could and hope the ones with no growing points eventually resprout.
Some neps were dragged over as well but they are more built to survive that kind of damage.

I have had this issue with birds using compost for nesting material with plants grown outside and finding VFTs outside their pots. Had not expected this in the greenhouse. A bit depressed....

bill

Back