What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora minor var. pilosa

Thanks for sharing the photos, Marc. Well done!! I hope the clone I have turns out to be fairly hirsute...
Paul

Marc: WOWW !!

Hope my lil pilosa will be like that in a near future !!

Thanks for sharing that !

Guys did you saw the new pilosa pictures from brad wilson on flickr ? He is up there right now and he post pictures from there. Its just amazing.

oh cool, can ya post a link maiden...

Butch, i dont remember, what is the RH% for your heli setup ?

maiden, typically varies between 80-100%
It sort of depends on placement and light cycle...

If I'm wanting to harvest pollen or pollinate flowers I will reduce it to about 70%
Excessive humidity inhibits pollen release and causes the flowers of some species to have difficulty in opening (petals get gooey and stick together)
In-situ flowering occurs during the drier parts of the year
Realizing this was one of the "ah-ha" moments

I also believe that excessive drying of the seeds kills them, but it is only a hunch at this point
I have seen fresh seed that was dried excessively become non viable, while older seed that was kept sealed to prevent moisture loss remain viable for extended periods

thanks for the link, sweet pics.... wish I was there too :)

Last edited:
Ok!

I keep my helis collection at 95%, 23C at pitchers level and 18C at roots level the days, and nights at 10C pitchers/roots. I think keeping the roots always cool even in the day help a lot. My plants flower all the time and the flowers are always wide open.

But what you said is very true because the flowers always reach the top of the terras and are dryed by the t5 tubes (.5 inches under the light).

Also, i add blue light spectrum(2700k) to my setup, this help light going through this massive relative humidity. I get much better results and coloration, even on the flowers.

To tell the truth, i never tryed to get seeds, because the plants grow so fast and divide themself very fast, all the time. I have hard time keeping a heli in the same pot for more than a year. And also its a lil complicated as i can read. But im still learning with this wonderfull genus, and i dont have your experience. But i think i get better each day :)

Its species specific, some species have nectar glands on the petals themselves...
In high humidity, petal nectar production becomes excessive and the flower fails to open correctly.

pollination and seed production is actually very easy, just a matter of timing and having viable pollen.

I see. I dont think i have these species. So in hight humidity, you have to open the petals with your fingers?

I will try crossing some species next summer, but ive hear that germination rate is quite low.

Last edited:
yes...

but even doing that, the stamen may not develop correctly due to the lack of clearance.

Last edited:
Man, i have another new pitcher growing on my pilosa!! 2 new pitchers growing on this little plant, only 2 months after oversea shipping. The first one have a white crown of outside hairs!

This make my week !! Im so happy :-))

I will take pictures as soon my Canon cam will be back from the repair center!

Cheers!

My heliamphora minor var pilosa got some new very hairy pitchers !

Very nice white fuzz even on the spoon ! What a beautiful plant ! (Sorry for the bad pictures quality)

Heliamphora minor var pilosa (first new growth) par dals009, sur Flickr

My babies nepenthes tenuis is also very nice this week, with many tiny new pitchers:)

Nepenthes tenuis babies par dals009, sur Flickr

And my heliamphora minor 'burgundy-black' start to get a big young plants clump. Im still waiting for the first adult pitcher!

Heliamphora minor 'Burgundy-black' par dals009, sur Flickr

My nep hamata is too far in the terra for pictures, i dont want to disturb For now.

My heliamphora minor 'selection 1'

Heliamphora minor 'selection 1' par dals009, sur Flickr

My heliamphora parva hairy

Heliamphora parva par dals009, sur Flickr

Thats it for now !

Sorry for posting only the links, im on my nexus 5 and i still dont know how copy/paste bbcodes :p

Francois

Last edited:
A better view of the heliamphora minor var pilosa pitcher ! I hope my canon cam will be back soon!

Sans titre de par dals009, sur Flickr

Thanks for looking guys :)

Last edited:
Furry... :0o:

Yep! Its a superb specie. In my opinion, this one is the most beautiful carnivorous plant.

Parva is one of my favs, very nice maiden....

when I first got mine, the pitchers had a "hairlip" for the first six months.... but eventually returned to normal.
just in case you experience the same issue, it is only a temporary problem....
Ive never had any other Heliamphora exhibit such a condition.

Av, what you meant by 'hairlips' ?

an improper, but common term for the medical condition known as "cleft lip"

Ok

I never saw that on any helis i grow...

Well, I followed Av8tor's advice, and started foliar feeding every couple of weeks. Butch, it worked!
I'm pretty stoked to see this:

1_zps64293b57.jpg

2_zps17a84a55.jpg

Cheers,
Paul

Back